1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

51 Pickup in 24 fret position on a Fender P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Strat Hater, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I want to put a 51 P bass pup in the 24 fret position for a Rickish sound. Here are my options;

1. MIM P Bass 60th anniversary edition

2. Buy another MIM P bass

3. Buy a Blacktop Jazz ( I know the neck pup is closer to the neck on this one)

What do you gear hounds think? Think the 60th anniversary edition
    would gain value over the years if it is left 100% stock?
  2. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

3. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Doing the upgrade to the 60th Anniversary, will post photos and sound clips when I get it back
  4. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

Coincidentally, I am planning on doing exactly this mod. I was debating which pickup to put in that location, but since I've got an extra Duncan SCPB-3 lying about, that's the one I'm gonna use.

So, I'm very interested in hearing what it sounds like for you.

As a side note, I'm probably going to go with V/T/3-way switch, how 'bout you?

Oh, and I don't think it's going to really do anything to the value of the bass. To the right buyer it's an attractive improvement, to the wrong buyer, it's a pointless mod. I think the key is how WELL the mod is done - from an aesthetic point of view.

Joe
  5. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I am putting in a Duncan designed 51 P bass pup (If I don't like it I will change it for a 1/4 pounder 51. My tech thinks that it should be angled so the pole pieces line up right. I to am going with a 3 position tele switch. I can't wait to get it back and try it out.
  6. takeout

takeout

Consider a "stealth" version: mount it under the pickguard. With a hot enough pickup it'd work.
  7. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Got the job done, it looks awesome, but the pickup is DEAD:crying:Going to have to wait for a new pickup. I think we are going with a 51 Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder
  8. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

6 to 8 weeks backorder aggghhh!!!!:crying::crying::crying:
  9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Are you planning on dual output jacks?
  10. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Not right now, I might change my mind down the road, I always wanted to experiment with stereo, but right now I am having a hard enough time just getting a stinking pickup:rollno:
  11. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

Hey, you ever do this mod?
  12. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I'd love to hear this thing.