51 single-coil P boosted p/u - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

My first 51-style p/u bass in a while (new Squier Tele VM) needs a p/u that is output-wise similar to the Dimarzio Model P, which I have in my split-pup Ps.
    If you are familiar with the Model P, is is basically the standard P sound with a smidge more volume and slightly exaggerated mid/low mids (to my ear, anyway) - basically boosted but not super hot; imagine a bass volume knob turned to 11-1/2 ;-).
    Thanks for your help!
  2. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Nordstrand makes a hot one. raw single coil energy, I luv it. But you will be disappointed if you expect to get split P thump, they are 2 different animals.
    I was also impressed with the Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounder style humbucker which is cheaper and much easier to find.
  3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Thanks - yes, I realize that a different pup will have a different sonic signature, my main concern in regoughly equal output levels for instrument-swap situations; the Dimarzio Model P is rated at Output mV: 163. Frankly I don't know exactly what that means, but at least it's a number to work with. I know what I like, been doing it forever, never been very technical minded! :p
  4. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Ah, understood. Since I'm not familiar with the Model P it's all blah blah, but by nature the single coil will have that exaggerated low mid so maybe the output alone will be a good guide. I, also being technically challenged, give that a serious maybe.:smug:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I used to Gigi with a 64 P bass with a Dimarzio Model P and a 68 Tele bass with the stock single coil. I don't recall having problems with P bass. I may have not run the volume of the P all the way up, as I adjusted the volume from the bass.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

I'd go to http://www.bassculture.de/ .
    I just had a '51 style P bass made and put a bassculture singlecoil into it. Very good indeed!
    He is also rather flexible when it comes to special custom requests.