1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

51P/69 tele...READ please..thanks

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by johnp352, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Gallien Krueger, S.Duncan, Dredgetone, Pigtronix,DTAR
    NOW FOR SALE.........any and all people who've contacted me about this, please re contact me..$750 is the asking price with all the extras.

Endorsing a new company soon; this bass has been great on stage and in the studio all year, but I am moving on..here's what you get:

The bass started life as a Crafted in Japan Fender 51 P bass. I believe it was sold on TB twice, the original owner and the guy I got it from. The original owner made a few mods, only one of which I liked. Here's what I did to make this good sounding bass a great sounding and playing bass:

1) The original owner swapped out the single coil pu (which is a bit anemic) for a Fralin side by side sc style HB pu. This is a nice sounding pu..IF you want a later P bass sound. But why have a SC bass then, just get a P bass! My solution was to put in a Seymour Duncan Vertically stacked hb, with a coil splitter switch. I am an endorser for Duncan , and MJ in the custom shop wound a real good one for me..these are the same pu's used in the $$$$ Fender Dusty Hill CS bass, as well as the pu Sting has in his 54 CS from Fender. So now I had a great thick HB tone, and also a snarling Ronnie Wood with Jeff Beck tone too..the coil splitter is on the tone control (which is still fully functional btw) and a simple push/pull changes the tone. Works great and transformed this bass into a killer.

2) Having owned 3 late 60's tele basses, I know from personal experience that the occasional over exuberant style will result in the upper bobbin of the above pickup to be..ummm..removed? as when you rest your thumb on the pickup top, the bobbin can actually pull off, ruining a $150 pu..so, I simply did what Leo did, and installed an ashtray over the pu. it's removeable..but the interesting thing about it (ask Marcus Miller...) is that it puts your right hand into a great position to play over the neck/end of neck things, while leaving plenty of room to play below it and palm mute too at the bridge. An added bonus was to have an additional ground wire fed to the ashtray for more shielding...however

3) this bass has been copper shielded to an inch of it's life..when in HB/2 coil mode..no buzz..when in snarl city sc just a bit and that's with a Dredgetone Angler on full bore..you prolly will never hear a peep.

4) It was a common thing to toss the old bridge from this bass and put in a new Fender DeLuxe bridge, and that's what the previous owner did..again, having owned several of these over the years, I felt the sound was missing something..so I put the original bridge back on and !! that's better. Maybe horses for courses here..but I will include the Fender DeLuxe bridge too in case you want to try that...it will let you go string through or top load..I like string through.

5) The color...TBers will always be debating the Japanese "butterscotch" color..Having recently completed a great tour of Japan..and marvelled at the craftsmanship and attention to detail of most everything in Japan..I cannot see how they came up with the hideous color they did. My favorite version is a finish from the late 60's..in this case Olympic White, which looks a little different depending on what the overheads are..it's a classic. I tied it together with a single ply white pickguard..put an "F" neck plate in back..didn't change the headstock decal to a Telecaster Bass one, but go right ahead if you want..and now it looks as good as it sounds.

6) Before I had it refinished..the previous owner had done a mod that I actually liked..he SLIGHTLY rounded the square lower bottom front..if you saw the pic before the bass was refinned, it was obvious..the ash was a small crescent shape, almost the way a roadworn looks..After I had it refinned, you couldn't tell..but I could tell..because the ONLY thing I never liked about this bass was the way that squared off lower bout dug in to my arm...and now..perfect.

7) Misc...took some of the ultra high gloss finish off the back of the neck..much better playing. Switched out the pots/cap for real ones..I bought an Electro Socket jack cup, but never put it in..go right ahead, it's yours. It's strung with Daddario chromes..light gauge..a REAL good match here.

So there you have it..a finely tuned Fender CIJ 51P/69 Tele, with a Custom Shop Duncan pu and a few mods that make this nice bass a contender. As I said, it comes with a Fender Deluxe bridge which fits right in..and an excellent SKB HD case that got it to Japan and across America in 2013 without a hitch....and I will include a beautiful Italia black leather strap too..this bass doesn't go anywhere. Set up done by my tech, and I am real choosy.

I am putting up a live clip (Pezband at the Hozac Blackout Fest)..If there's one thing I don't like, it's somebody recording a bass into their computer..so here it is through one of my GK's..No OD pedal on btw, just the sc in front and hb later on..you'll hear it. Also a pic of it in the studio with its stable mate..and a pic onstage..Oly White under different colored lights changes color..It's also in my avatar...if you need more pics just ask, but seriously, ok?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk-RWh1xviU

How much? Did you come here 1st? Of course you did. I am thinking (and seeing here on TB) that a garden variety butterscotch CIJ 51 P goes for around $650 with a gig bag..so..add $100 for all the mods, extra bridge, refinn and upgraded case? $750 sounds fair to me. PM please..no trades, just a straight out buy to partially cover the cost of my next bass, as even though I will be endorsing the company, I will still be paying.

Attached Files:

2. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

0   0   0

How about a picture of the pickup? Sorry, I'm kinda confused from thr description.
    Any relation to the 70s Pezband from Chicago? Saw them a bunch with "Riff" Johnson on vocals. Played some of the same clubs.
  3. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    same Pezband..AFA the pickup..it looks like a normal single coil, but is a vertically stacked humbucker, 2 coils...which can be split so that it's one or both.
  4. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
  5. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Rating - 99.5%
    221   1   0

how would you describe the output of this pickup? Hot? mild? Humbucking vs single differences?
  6. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    hot in single coil..meat in dual..listen to the you tube clip..intro single coil, verse dual coil
  7. MoBe

MoBe

0   0   0

Can you show a picture of the rounded off lower bout?
  8. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    here's a pic before it got refinned, you might take it to be deeper than it really is..but have a look..I don't think there's much more off than what a roadworn has..you can also see the nice ash body..I( tried to take an accurate shot but the oly white from a distance of about 3 feet doesn't even show the rounded edge

Attached Files:

9. bass_case

0   0   0

Free bump for a real "roadworn" bass.

I like the tones you're getting, and may try the SD pup on my 69 Tele. Did it need a deeper rout?
  10. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    It needed to be widened a touch, especially after the shielding...the depth was ok...this bass really does sound great..thanks to the SD pickup.
  11. marcray

marcray

0   0   0

Disclosures:
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I so want this, I'm a huge Ron Wood fan, I'll be watching, salivating!!!
  12. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    I loved that sound too, part of the reason I made it this way, thanks to the good people at SD..
    ...drop me a PM..
  13. 10cc

10cc

0   0   0

42 years later and still making fans! Hell yes I'm loving the Pezband! This is great! Band and bass! I'm looking around the house today for $750. Where is the best place to get my hands on some (entire catalog) Pezband?
  14. bass_case

0   0   0

Pezband was deservedly the most popular bar band in the Chicago area when I was a young basser there in the mid-70s. Good to know they're still rocking it. This bass is a steal at that price, if I didn't have three projects I would jump on it myself.
  15. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    Look hard! I am back from NAMM and need to get going on this ..soon.

Thanks for the fannage..we were laying low the last weeks, but we'll be in NYC and LA/San Diego in the Spring, as well as Amsterdam to Berlin early summer..

afa the back catalog...this is a bit strange..there's a lot of vinyl out on ebay..there's cd baby and itunes for digital dl..our label (Airmail) in Japan rereleased the back cat a few years back, and sold out..but MIGHT have a few..however you will pay a premium...I don't want to sound like a dick here, but in 2007 when they were released they were going at $35 a pop..and sold out. so...I am sorry I can't be more helpful..there's also a new cd of old stuff on Airmail called "Dangerous People"..which is pretty good...but only released in Japan (where we were playing in October)..If you'd like to get a good overview and you are good with capturing things, there's always utube..just send us $0.99 when you are done ;)

I think the best vinyl is an ep called "30 Seconds over Schaumburg" a great live thing ..hard to find though..and really, we are playing at a level that blows that away..having had the last 35 years to practice....
  16. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    thanks for that..did you like Off Broadway too? I started that mess as well.

and please..listen to base case..I am simply trying to move it fwd to a player who can use it...
  17. bass_case

0   0   0

Yes, 'On' came out after I moved to FL, I have it and the 2nd album on vinyl. I was getting into jazz then but that first album was a nice diversion.

GLWTS!
  18. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    cheers
  19. johnp352

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Disclosures:
    This bass is sold and headed to my favorite US city, New Orleans...I feel good that it's going to good hands and a warm town.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.