1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

55-64 Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I have had my 55-64 about six weeks now, and I think I am over the new bass high.:ninja: First, compared to my other basses, the 55-64 is really big. The body is full sized, it has a 35" scale, and at 10 lbs. 4 oz., it is almost two pounds more than my Millennium. The fit and finish is excellent. My only issue was the sharp fret ends. I also think that Lakland should ship Skylines in gigbags or hardcases instead of just a shipping box.

The bass plays really well. The neck has a very flat profile that is super comfortable in combination with the 19mm string spacing. The bass is large and is not light at all, but my large Levy's strap supports me well.

My bass is equipped with a Lakland Vintage pickup. It has extremely powerful output, and caused the amp at my church is clip. I do love the tone of this bass. It works well with everything, that said, I think I will have a Norstrand Big Split installed at the bridge so I can get a more modern slap tone.

Attached Files:

2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    the one thing Lakland really doesn't have control over on the skylines is the body weight.

You can find a lighter weighted 55-64, but you have to go to the shop and kinda pick it out. I had a squire like what you got, just black. tipped the scale at 14 lbs. Ouch.

3. Dr. Cheese

14 lbs. is unreal!

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Fine doctor

Great review!

I whole heartily agree on the gig bag issue. The newer Lakland gig bags are sweet.

I think people would pay a few bucks more to get one with their skyline.

Make sure you get the split coil J ...will really help with him cancellation.

My first US 5564 has the nordy P and split coil J...together they sound great and there really is no hum to speak of.

Consider a matched Hanson Vintage J pickup....I have the vintage P and J in my latest and they are perfectly matched.

I really think that once you get the fret spout issue fixed it won't be an issue again.

Glad you like it....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

I fixed the fret sprout a while back with a fret file I ordered from Stewart MacDonald. I am having cold feet about adding a bridge pickup because my bass has such a pretty finish!

That said a Hanson gum canceling pickup would be perfect. Maybe Lakland can do it for me themselves. It would probably be pricy, but I know they would do a great job?

7. basspraiser

Glad to hear you fixed the sprout issue...as for a pick up route? Do it myself? NEVER...leave that to the pros

Lakland would....or email Carl@chicagobassdoctor.com

Carl Pedigo is a master luthier who works in the same building as Lakland....he does ALL of my work and is a perfectionist

Email him and check his pricing.

If you want his phone number pm me.

Peace

8. Dr. Cheese

I was unclear. I meant I should contact Lakland about doing the job for me. I will give Mr. Pedigo a call.

9. AntLockyer

AntLockyer

I wouldn't want to pay more for a skyline if it came with a gig bag

10. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I was doing a cruise ship gig and got stuck doing 2 1/2 hour sets for the first show at times.

My shoulder....I think theres still a sore spot. :crying:

11. basspraiser

Gotcha....Carl will serve you well!

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

My 44-02 is 7.5lbs! It's spectacular :)

13. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

The J.O. I had was modded with an Aggie preamp and it sounded awesome. Worth considering , imo.

14. letsrumble

letsrumble

Fret sprout? :meh:

I was under the impression that...

...according to Sweetwater.

For almost $1200, there shouldn't be any fret issues. Disappointing, since I was very interested in this model.

15. Dr. Cheese

I have noticed a several Skylines with sharp fret edges in the past year. Skylines are finished in Chicago, and I agree, they cost too much too much to have this problem. My gut feeling is that they are Plek'ed, but sometimes the edges are filed down as well as they could be. I know that travel and temperature can affect a bass, but I my bass only traveled from Chicago to the Metro East (Illinois side of Greater St. Louis,) which is a five hour trip at most.

It only took a half hour to even the frets, but my bass should not have come with sharp fret edges.

16. basspraiser

Fret sprout can happen to ANY bass....even $10000 basses

It has to do with changing moisture content in the air.

The frets are dressed at the plant at the humidity "of the day" If the bass moves to a dryer climate or dries in transit the neck will shrink.....wood does that...and the frets will poke out.

If you get the frets filed when the fret sprout is at its max it will NEVER have to be done again.

17. Dr. Cheese

I picked up the bass early in August during a dry spell. Assuming it left a humidity controlled environment and dried out on the UPS truck, I can see how it happened.

18. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I'll gladly drive the 2 hours to have Carl work on ANY of my basses.
    He's a genius!!!

19. kokorollc

kokorollc Gold Supporting Member

Just my 2 cents but there should not be any fret issues if the wood is selected and aged properly. Plek deals with the frets on top of the board and is generally excellent. Edges are more finicky and need attention. Stable wood should prevent these issues. I'm a huge Lakland fan and have always had great experience with both USA and Skyline. This is a red flag.

20. Dr. Cheese

I know I am being wishy washy, but as much as I can see fret sprout happening, I have seen it on a few too many new basses from the Skyline series. Usually, I see fret sprout on basses that have been in a shop for a while, not new basses.
    I think that the overall finish on he Skylines I have seen from the last year or two has been great, but those fret ends do worry me.:confused:

21. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Not to me. Heck, I've experienced fret sprout more often with used basses than new ones: An '83 Fender AVRI '57 that I received in 2007 (refretted by Ed Reynolds, one of the best in the biz) and a US-made Reverend (they're renowned for their necks) that was 5 years old when I got it. In both cases, significant climate change was the culprit.