1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

56 Fender Pbass (Real or Fake?) Need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassboy01, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bassboy01

bassboy01 SpectorWorld.com Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: GuitarHouse.net
    Hey Guys,
    I've been looking for a '56 Fender Pbass for years in this kind of condition. I need your help though. I am not a vintage expert and just want to make sure what is being represented to me here is really what it is. I am told it is all original with the original case. Can you tell me if it is correct, what would a fair price be for it?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!!

You've been looking specifically for a '56 PBass for YEARS and you STILL don't know exactly what you're looking for?
  3. bassboy01

Disclosures:
    I know that I want a 56 but like I said I am not an expert in knowing if it is all original or not. I just don't want to be taken advantage of. That's why I am looking for positive help here. Not someone trying to give me a hard time.
  4. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

We can't really answer that question unless the bass is taken apart so we can see neck and body dates, pickup construction, pot codes, etc.. The finish sure doesn't look like it's 58 years old though.
  5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

The bass is probably a fake (newer reproduction) or a total refin. Need a lot more detailed pics of disassembled instrument to be certain of which. I have a '55.

The case?? Can't say, but I have a '66 case with way more oxidation and deterioration. That may possibly be a late 50's case. Maybe. Look elsewhere.
  6. Jim Carr

BTW, the neck heel is the wrong shape!
  7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Yup... neck heel looks modern.
  8. Jim Carr

Compare the 21st fret ends...

My '55:
    [​IMG]
  9. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Pretty good condition for a real 56; almost too good...:bag: Need neck and body stamp,etc. I have doubts about the case. From old pictures I've seen, the interior looked slightly different and it's in near perfect condition for 50+ year old tweed. Lots of vintage basses have be refinished or refretted over the years. I've heard that sometimes electronics have been altered (legit warranty stuff, factory rewind,etc) in some way. When dealing with that much money ($5-10k+) I'd recommend being skeptical. It's always good to get as much info as possible, do your research. Caveat Emptor.
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320

11. mcarp555

mcarp555

Yep, the end of the fretboard looks too squared off. So even without clear shots of the headstock, it's almost certain the neck is not original. As mentioned, the body looks too clean for the age.

But without extensive photos of this bass, inside and out, the best approach to take is that it's fake, until convinced otherwise by evidence. And I agree, if you're looking for a specific year, you should know the specs cold, otherwise you'll just be suckered out of your cash. Why do you even want a '56 P if you don't know what you're looking for? If you don't want to be taken advantage of, learn to be an expert. Don't expect us to do your homework for you.

The bass is not a genuine '56. There.
  12. ejmy

ejmy

The thumb rest, or should I say the finger rest is upside down.
  13. Wallace320

Wallace320

So that they could easily rotate...

I tend to think Fender switched to two screws only in the '60s

Cheers,
    Wallace
  14. Davo-London

Davo-London

I'm curious about the heel corner line to the left of the neck plate on the back of the bass. It looks badly manufactured - is this correct?

Davo
  15. Wallace320

Wallace320

But it could legitimate a minor manufacturin' defection from back in those days

Cheers,
    Wallace
  16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Someone should write a song about that.

Oh... wait...
  17. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

Were you born in 1956, bassboy?
  18. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

More than a few telltale signs it might not be original. Only way to know for sure is to take that mutha apart.
  19. bassboy01

Disclosures:
    These were photos sent to me by the dealer. He is bringing it by today for me to check out. I was just trying to make sure I don't miss anything. This is a lot of money and I can't afford to make that big of mistake.

I will definitely pull the bass apart and look at the stamp on the neck and body but wasn't sure how to tell if it's a refin or not. I also wasn't aware of the rounded off neck pocket vs the square. This is where I was hoping to get more great info from all of you pros on here.

As far as not doing my research, this is what I'm trying to do by asking question from real guys who know their stuff. I'm not trying to use anyone, just looking for answers and advice.

As far as why I want this year: I was born in 1964 and own a '64 P my brother was born in 1956 and I love the way they look and sound. I think people tend to collect things that have meaning and this one just reminds me of family. Pretty simple really.

Thanks so much guys for your input! When I get the bass in my hands I will take more photos for you to see.
  20. greybeard125

greybeard125 Supporting Member

It may be a real Reissue but not an original 56. Skunk stripes on the necks didn't start till way later. Be wary. A changed neck plate does not make it original.

Good luck