1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

57 Reissue Precision pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barks, May 18, 2012.

1. barks

barks

Apologies in advance for yet another P pickup thread but I have read through quite a few old threads and still not got the answer to this question:

What would be the main difference / improvement (hopefully) in swapping out the stock pickup in my 2005 Fender 57 Precision Reissue and replacing it with a Nordstrand NP4 pickup?

I feel that the 57 reissue pickup is a bit lacking in 'something' and the raised A poles make the E string sound a bit quieter - at least to my ears.

Would the Nordstrand even things up a bit across the strings?

Comments appreciated as always.

2. barks

barks

I am still keen to hear what people may think about this. Any comments welcome.

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

If you do this, pm me if you want to sell the raised pole pup.

4. kai_ski

kai_ski

I will follow up by saying that IMO, 90% of the split-coil style precision pickups out there are designed to follow the 60's style. IME, the Nordstrand is more "modern" sounding than the original 60's that is in the Fender '62 RI bass. If you want the 60's sound get the Fender pup, the Fralin or Lollar are also great pickups. Personally I like the 50's pickup, thus my offer ^^^. As far as balance is concerned, I think you can achieve good balance with both, and a lot of it has to do with your playing style, but the more common "flat" pole pickups are easier to achieve a string to string balance. IMHO IME YMMV etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. barks

barks

Made a decision to go for it and I am having the Nordstrand NP4v installed soon. Report to follow in a few weeks....

7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Looking forward to your report!

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

9. barks

barks

Pretty happy with the new pickup and LaBella strings set up. Here's a quick demo recorded last week to give you an idea how it sounds.

10. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

That pickup does sound good. I've been curious to hear samples of it. I have the regular NP4, but am curious to hear the difference.