1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

59 P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Feb 10, 2014.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Looks kinda bogus to me.

3. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

4. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Looks like a legit seller though. Maybe that is actually a custom shop one-off and he either is selling it as a spec or got hold of it in the middle of the build before it was done (therefore he can sell it as new).

I'm not bidding on it, but it's a nice looking bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. the art guy

CS wouldn't do a '59 with that decal, or that kind of burst. If you look closely at the pics, it's not a CS quality neck or anything either. He may not be deliberately dishonest, but it's not the real deal.

7. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

No way that wood selection would be on a CS, it looks like my squier vm with flamed and regular top mixed, looks strange to me, I wouldn't touch it

8. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Funky, but I bet it is legit.

The Music Zoo has a couple CS basses sporting that same black guard, and another "59" with a 70's logo.

Funky, one off, special order type deal, I guess.

Music Zoo

9. the art guy

Weird! Why on earth would they call that a '59 though?

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That is completely screwy.

11. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    Agreed. Fender's current spasm of mix-n-match mania is ill-advised. It is ok to make the occasional inaccurate reissue such as a P-bass with blocks -- there is a demand, after all - but this rampant "parts is parts" approach to decals, and the blatant disregard for even the most minimal attempts at period-accuracy, are really so much pee in the collector's pool.

Kinda reminds me of when I used to laboriously hunt down rare b-sides. Then they all got dumped on CD. Then that all got dumped on youtube. All the searching and collecting was, in the end, pointless -- the result of a false perceived scarcity, same as with basses.

The Brits have an expression, "Don't make a mug out of your punter." More businesses should take this to heart. At least Rickenbacker doesn't degrade their brand with countless lesser versions.

12. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

What's really weird is I saw this one on ebay earlier yesterday. I emailed the seller, who originally listed it as a '59, and told him I didn't think it was one based on the headstock logo. In his listing, he has a photo of the C.O.A., which indicates it's a 1959, and the serial number on the C.O.A. and neckplate match.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181319677790&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

After I emailed him, he removed '1959' from the item header and description.

Sumtin's fishy...

13. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Yeah, see, the one linked above is also a Music Zoo CS build.

14. bufert57

bufert57 Ashdown User

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: 1964 Ears
    Eddies Guitars is a legit high end guitar store in St. Louis. They have a number on the eBay listing.

15. Easy8

Easy8

16. lsabina

lsabina Supporting Member

I actually called up the store about this bass back in late October. There were a couple of other inaccuracies on their store website listing (which where corrected after I pointed them out).
    Just got a funny feeling about this bass, and the price quoted, was one of those "Gotta buy it right now," type of hypes. And not a very nice sales person. (As soon as I said "I'll pass," he hung up the phone with not even a goodbye--amateurish, IMHO.)
    Needless to say, it's still sitting there.

17. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

What are you two talking about? That's a quarter-sawn neck.

[​IMG]

18. the art guy

Yeah, I stand corrected on that. My comment was actually based on the look of the fretboard and the rest of the neck (including of course, the headstock with inaccurate decal). But oh well - guess I'm wrong. Even though I still can't believe they're calling it a '59.

19. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

The CS also offered this same P bass with a black finish (black annodized guard, etc).

Seems lately they're building whatever they want and calling them whatever they want reguardless if it's historically very inaccurate.
    Look at the "64" Jazz Basses Sweetwater had with maple fretboards. Also look at the "51" Precisions in colors, and some with gold annodized pickguards. I even saw some CS "51's" with rosewood fretboards. :eyebrow:

20. pfox14

pfox14

21. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

Having owned a CS '59 Precision that itself was a bit of a stretch (CAR with matching headstock, which was unavailable back in 1959), I must ask... what the hell makes this bass a '59 versus any other year? It doesn't have threaded bridge saddles, has a black single-ply guard, wrong headstock logo... the only things it seems to have going for it is a 2-color sunburst, pickguard screw count, thumbrest location, bevels on the pole pieces... weird. I loved my CS '59 but wouldn't touch this one due to how much is 'off' with it, historically.