1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

59 p-pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eno50, Dec 18, 2013.

1. eno50

eno50

Hello,
    Anyone know anything about the Fender 59 precision bass pickups?
    I can not find any spec's or info on them..
    They are in a Mike Dirnt bass,all I can see is the pickups have beveled pole pieces like the Fender custom shop 60's pickups, I'am wondering if they are similar, they seen to be maybe hotter or seen to have more punch than my other p basses..

Thanks Eno

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I think it's the same as the Original '60s that came in the previous AVRI '62 P but with plastic rather than cloth insulation on the leads.

Sold one when I parted out a Dirnt P and wish I'd kept it. It sounded almost exactly like my AVRI P.

3. eno50

eno50

I had to take a look myself for any # or any Identification
    mark on the pickup and could not find any but it dose have the old cloth coverd wires on the pups...

Eno

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Interesting. I found this on eBay, and it also has cloth wires.

The one I had was from '04 or '06 IIRC, so I guess that changed at some point during production.

There was probably a '59 pickup that they copied that is slightly different spec-wise than whatever they used to design the '60s Original.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. greengoblin

greengoblin

I am running Mike Dirnt pickups in my highway P and they sound deep and fat. They in fact have cloth wires, but no other markings. Going to pull them soon and measure their resistance with my Fluke.

7. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member