1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

59 vs 63 p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geddy402, Feb 14, 2014.

1. geddy402

geddy402 Supporting Member

Other than satisfying a fleeting feeling of GAS is there any reason to get a 59 maple or rosewood board precision bass? I have a 63 but feel the need for a late 50s p bass. Please talk me out of it! I really don't need to spend that of coin right now...

Attached Files:

2. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

NICE BASS!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

if you feel the need and can swing it why are you asking instead of posting an NBD? i love my '63 and strangely enough the only Ps i'm really lusting for are others like it.
  4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The 59 would have a slab board. The 59 I had was the best of several Ps I had over the decades.
  5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

I don't think there were other changes than the slab board in '63. If you like yours, why lust?
  6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Because pre-CBS Fenders are sexy. Can't help it. :D
  7. geddy402

This is why. Because I've heard that the 58-59 years are the best. Not to say anything against my 63, its a beast but its like looking at other women. Happy with what I have...but there's always the unknown/hype factor.
  8. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

They are the way the universe decided a bass should be.
  9. lexington125

lexington125

not sure that 58-59 is "best" - but there is a big difference btw my '64 and my '61 (to be totally honest, I prefer the feel of the 64 for live playing, but the sound of the 61 for recording.) The necks changed a good deal from the first couple of years of rosewood to the later pre-cbs necks.

No matter what anyone says about technology being far more advanced today, you can't deny the personal value many of us place on playing instruments that have nearly 60 years of history behind them. Imagine the money that someone would make if he could provide you with the detailed history of your '59 bass - where it was originally purchased, the years it spent in a Vegas lounge band before it was purchased by a hippie band in SF and the dozen times it was used at the Fillmore west. then it went to a commune in Oregon for 4 years before it was sold to a shop on 48th St in NYC and the bass spent the next 10 years on the punk / garage scene sharing the stage at CBGBs with everyone from the Ramones to Motorhead. And that was just your bass's first 25 years of history. Its not gonna happen, but that just means that we can all dream up our own histories for our old instruments.
  10. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Yeah the neck on the '59 will likely be a little thicker, the '63 neck flatter front to back.

(Unlike the new Fender reissues which have the same neck thickness for both their '58 and '63 reissues.)
  11. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    My name is kesslari and I endorse this message.
  12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Hey if you can swing it go for it!
  13. Easy8

Easy8

The neck on my 60 P is slightly different than Webtroll's 63, so there are some subtle differences.

I think you'll regret it if you don't get it.
  14. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

OK, maybe you don't really *need* it,
    but you can't have too many P basses.

Besides, you can always sell it.
  15. geddy402

Thanks for the advice guys.

Now do I go for maple or rosewood?

There a cool looking 59 at Greg's Guitars, apparently the best bass they've ever had at Chelsea Guitars and a really clean one at Chicago Music Exchange. Anyone have experience with these dealers? Anyone played these particular basses?
  16. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

A little late to the party, but I'll try to talk you down. That bass you have, right there, is badass! You may, very well be the envy of several TB members...did it work? Try this one on for size..What are you gonna do with the '63? Put it under the bed?
  17. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

If Dan at Chelsea guitars says it's that good it probably is. Make him an offer, it's been there for ages.

I played a 66 J there that was the finest J I had ever picked up, it played itself and was worn perfectly in all the right places, obviously played heavily and perfectly maintained for years. He gets a lot if pros through there.
  18. geddy402

Cool thanks for the info. I always get a little concerned when it's been there for a long time. Especially if it is a great bass and cliental that have the coin to buy it.
  19. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

I own an all original 59, and it's the bees knees! Don't look to me to try to talk you out of it!
    [​IMG]
  20. geddy402

That looks familiar! D bopp I've followed your nbd threads for a while. That is a good one. How much should I expect to pay for one? Looks like they're anywhere for $8500 to $12k.