5k rolloff in a DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Nov 19, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So what do I need to get the standard SVT 5k rolloff in my REDDI with no artifacts like compression or distortion? I have no idea what kind of LPF's are out there, but I know I have to do something since I work with a couple soundmen who absolutely refuse to turn down the treble to my liking. But it can't interfere with the REDDI in any way other than giving me the 5k rolloff.

Start suggestin', and thanks!
  2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

I know Caeman had [SFX] build him a static low pass filter, a Xerograph might do the trick but you'd have to tune by ear. What about just a regular EQ pedal?
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Appreciate the input, bro. Thought about a regular graphic EQ, but it seems like overkill, doesn't it? Plus a lot of the pedal EQ's get "artifact-y." Xerograph sounds to me more like some sort of envelope filter, right? I know it says it's a lowpass filter, but the recordings that Taylor posted on his site seems more like an envelope filter to me. Or am I misunderstanding its purpose?
  4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

The standard Xerograph has no envelope functions, it's a straight low pass filter. The Deluxe has some envelope functions. EQ seems like overkill to you, since you want it to perform one narrow function, but most builders are looking at the larger market.

I don't think there is a 5khz LPF commercially available. Wouldn't be hard to get someone to build you one but you'd likely spend at least what you would on mass produced graphic EQ pedal.
  5. oerk

oerk

Why don't you get your REDDI modded for a (switchable) low pass circuit? A simple R/C filter could be sufficient.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Couldn't bring myself to mod the world's most perfect DI ;)
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Markbass super booster has their high-cut filter, right?

Also, re artifacts from EQ, Max at sfx is very good at high-headroom, low-distortion circuit design. I wouldn't throw his stuff in the same category as typical EQ pedals like Boss etc.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could seek out a Raven Labs True Blue EQ.

[​IMG]
  9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Any variable electronic crossover would do it. I use one as a speaker simulator from time to time for a line level signal.
  10. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Something like the EWS BMC that goes up to 5k shouldn't be too hard to have built. Or you could just get an Empress ParaEQ and put the issue to rest once and for all.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Interesting options there, guys. Thanks for the tips. I shall check them all out and any more that you all present. Forgot about Markbass, BTW. The VLE knob was the best thing about Markbass stuff IMHO.
  12. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

I use a couple of 19" rack mount crossovers, for a portable solution Samson makes the S - Xover and Rolls makes a SX21. These are just line level filters.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do the mod in an XLR shell and tell sound dewd that it's a pad. ;)
  14. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Jimmy, have you thought about the Aguilar Tone Hammer preamp/DI? Here's a screenshot of a scope I did below. This is with the AGS on, EQ flat, and the drive low so that the sound is totally clean. It attenuates both the lows and highs to get a more vintage tone. It also dials in a slight amount of the Ampeg/VT Bass curve that you like, but much less extreme and with none of that clanky harshness that is in the VT. You can dial that up by pushing treble, or you can easily get the tone PERFECTLY flat (albeit with the high/low attenuation still intact) using a very minimal amount of it's powerful EQ. Of course, with the sweepable mids, you can dial any amount of mid forward or scooped tone you want, to whatever degree you want. Could be an easy solution for you, and then you can also turn the AGS off and have a completely unfiltered tone that you can also sculpt. It's the best preamp/DI box on the market, and doesn't get the love and attention it deserves IMHO.

In the picture below, the white line is the Tone Hammer engaged but with the AGS off, while the green is with the AGS turned on. EQ flat on both scopes. It's a wonderful tone, and you can add in a little bit of harmonic warmth if you want by increasing the gain. Keep in mind the scale on the graph below is in half dB increments, so that curve is VERY subtle in reality. What I like is that even with the AGS off, there's still a little ultra-high attenuation that takes all that hissing zing out of the bass, much like the Countryman type85 DI does. It's an EXCELLENT active DI as such. Runs on Phantom power, but takes dual 9v batteries for extra headroom when needed.

[​IMG]
  15. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

Hey Jimmy , How zabout the cap in your bass ?

(If you play passive)
  16. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Yup, I had Max at [sfx] build the Micro Screaminator. Brickwall filter at 5kHz. It is completely compatible with any other effect. It doesn't boost or cut any other frequencies below 5kHz. It makes for a fantastic speaker/cab simulator, or tweeter defeater.

Tweeters with bass? Pffft.
  17. caeman

In general, am EQ won't work because of them are shelving EQs. The highest EQ slider will allow frequencies to its right to continue to get through. An LPF starts at its frequency and cuts EVERYTHING off. So, if you want to emulate a speaker, get an LPF. But, the MXR 10-band might give you enough of a cut-off. My LPF from Max cost me a some coin because it was completely custom, but it will pretty much last forever.
  18. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Barber Linden EQ. It just makes the world a better place.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have one but it's already being used on my upright, plus I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. Honestly, it sounds like Caeman's Micro Screaminator is what I want. I'd rather it be a little more gradual than completely brickwalling, but it'd probably work just fine for me. I wish I could build stuff like that myself...I'd save a fortune.

Fokof, I was playing passives and still do sometimes, but just recently switched to EMG's in my P Lyte.

Thanks again for all the wonderful ideas, folks!
  20. caeman

My Micro Screaminator is currently on my guitar FX board acting like a speaker simulator, to keep my Tele's fuzz in check since I play direct to my home mixer. No guitar amp.