1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

5th Fret - E String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reddog01, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Reddog01

Reddog01

I have a fairly new (I've had it about 2 months) Ibby SR300. I have been generally pleased with how it sounds, and I love the slim, fast neck. I have noticed, however, that one note, the 5th fret, E string A, is kinda weird. When I pick the note, it as it rings, it sounds like it goes flat. I have not noticed this with any other note on the E string. Can any of you more experienced player suggest what may cause this? Is it the bass, is it in need of an adjustment, is it the string, etc?

2. garp

garp

Could be any number of things:

· Bad string
    · Fret in need of dressing/crowning
    · String not intonated properly
    · String not properly seated at the nut (unlikely, but sympathetic string vibration can sometimes cause a note to sound flat)

If it’s a new bass purchased from an authorized Ibanez dealer, take it back to them and have it diagnosed. While you might think that a bass would get a proper inspection and set-up prior to sale, it isn’t always the case.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    New instruments often have nice but inexpensive strings that might not last long. I'd replace the strings and have the instrument set-up by a trusted bass-tech.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

Playing the A on the E string will also cause the open A string to vibrate sympathetically, so make sure that you are muting the A string with your fretting hand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Reddog01

Reddog01

That make a lot of sense; I never considered that. I did take it to have a tech look at it. I could not get the bass to do what was bothering me, even playing it through the same model of amp. :eyebrow: