6 ohm load... should I just avoid it?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stevenjm, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Hey guys, I'm new to playing bass. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years since I was a young kid, but now I'm playing bass and have been acquiring some gear to gig with.

I have an Acoustic B200H head that puts out 200w @ 4 ohms, but my acoustic 4x10 is 8 ohms. Just for more volume, and a fuller sound I've been thinking of adding another 8ohm 2x10 or 4x10.

I found a good deal on a Fender Rumble 410, but its rated at 4ohms... If its loud/full enough I could just use that and sell my acoustic cab. But if I stack them, my load would be 6 ohms (right?)... Would a 6 ohm load be bad for my solid state head?
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Nope..........

A 4 ohm load and a 8 ohm load is 2.67 ohms

2/3 of the power will go to the 4 ohm, 1/3 to the 8 ohm.

Solid state amps only care if you go BELOW the minimum rating.
  3. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Yes you should avoid it because whereas your acoustic cab is made out of 4 x 8 ohm drivers in series parallel and the fender cab is made out of 4 x 4 ohm drivers in series parallel, therefore the fender 4 ohm drivers are getting twice the power that the acoustic 8 ohm drivers are getting.
    That's not at all clever is it.:bassist:
  4. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Ok cool. Good to know. Fender shouldn't have made theirs a 4 ohm load since most people like to add on extra cabs at times.

Thanks guys.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Thats why there are 2 ohm capable amps, or people use stereo power amps.
  7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have both 4 ohm and 8 ohm 4X10's but use the 4 ohm more often than not. Fender made theirs 4 ohms to produce max power from their heads.

A 4 ohm cab will use 4 ohm or 16 ohm speakers. I think your best bet is to get a 4 ohm 2X10, and rewire it in series for 16 ohms. When used with the 8 ohm 4X10, all speakers will get the same power.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Fender also made heads that are 2 ohm capable, so you can add a second cab ... :)
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

and the matching rumble heads are not them!

the rumble 4Ω 4x10 cab just extracts the most power out of the little budget heads they come with.
  10. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

This hurts my brain, ohms always confused me... Wouldn't I want another 8 ohm 2x10 cab so when it's stacked with my 4x10 (8ohm) the total load between the two cabs would be 4 ohms?
  11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

No...........

If each cab is 8 ohms, the power gets split equally between the two cabs.

One cab has only 2 speakers, whereas the other has four speakers.

Each of the speakers in the 2X10 will get double the amount of power.
  12. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

After some google reading I think I got a better understanding of it. Maybe I'll keep my eyes peeled for another 8 ohm 4x10 just to simplify things.
  13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Make sure it is the same exact cab you are aready using then.

Mixing brands of speakers, and/or cabs with different tunings brings on other problems.
  14. walterw

right, the best arrangement would be another identical 4x10.

trouble is, now you're dragging out a lot of cabinet, and only powering it with a measly 200 watts.

you might hate load-in less with just keeping the one 4x10 cab and getting a more powerful head, something in the 4-500 watt range.

it won't be quite as awesome as 8 tens rocking behind you (doubling the wattage doesn't get you as much as doubling the speakers, because the speakers begin to "eat" some of the extra power), but it would be better than what you have now.
  15. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

Just for now. I was borrowing a svt3 pro from my friend but he needed money so he sold it to a music go round for like $150. I was pissed because I would've easily given him that. So the acoustic head was a quick Craigslist solution because I had a gig coming up. I'm constantly looking for a good deal on something in the 400-500 watt range. Luckily the band I'm playing bass in is a punk band where I only have to compete with a 20watt hiwatt head and a 60 watt fender hot rod deville.
  16. walterw

are you kidding? a 60-watt deville can freakin' clear the room!

if you're doing punk rock where "loud and out of control" is what's supposed to happen, then you might indeed be best off lugging the second identical 4x10 cab. you'll hear yourself better, and there's less risk of blowing up one cab by trying to put too much power into it.
  17. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

No I'm not kidding you. In a practice space it's pretty easy to drown out a fender deville. I own one, I know. Plus they're not really "bass-heavy" amps... Pretty trebly and midy... So playing bass over it doesn't clash so bad.

Being loud and out of control isn't punk, it's just stupid, and nobody probably likes watching your band. JMHO.
  18. walterw

how oddly mature for punk rock :p and you're right of course;

as such, if the volumes are "sane", then maybe a beefier head through the one cab would indeed be enough for the gig.
  19. El-Bob

El-Bob

If your deville isn't getting crazy loud, there's something wrong with it...
  20. Stevenjm

Stevenjm

I think it helps that we're all late 20s... We've been around since high school days, we've done the "super loud" thing, it gets old for the band and the audience. Taking the time to find a good mix makes your whole band sound so much better.

My 200 watt amp and 1 4x10 gets the job done for the most part, but we're playing a bigger venue at the end of the month and I'm kind of nervous that my 4x10 might not be enough. I don't the place has anything more than a vocal PA...

Now I'm not sure if I should try adding another cab or look into a better head first. I'm fairly knowledgeable with guitar gear, but bass gear is a big unknown world for me.
  21. T-Bird

T-Bird

HI.

A broken DeVille perhaps, but not a working one.

If the guitarist wants that, that is.

Some guitarists do know how to play with moderate levels...

The guitarist I play with ATM plays through a Fender 100W head at 25W, through a 412. aIf he wants to, he'll drown my 200 "tube" Watts through a 410 in a sec.
    Fortunately he doesn't do that :).

Regards
    Sam