1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

6 string alternative.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike M., Jan 24, 2013.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

The "alternative to a 5 string" thread got me thinking.

Has anyone here tried stringing up thier 5 string basses E thru C? I tried out a 6 string bass a while ago and while I was very intrigued by it, another bass purchase is out of the question.

So I'm thinking about trying E thru C on an old 5 string bass I have to see if that higher string would even agree with me in the long haul. It may and it may not.

My other 5 string is staying B thru G, but I feel like experimenting a bit with the other.
  2. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

I bought one of the first Ibanez 5 strings back in the '80s, and nobody I knew had ever seen such a thing before. It came with another nut already cut for E through C strings, so the idea has been around for at least 25 years if not longer.

If you're into higher notes or chords, a high-5 bass is a great way to go.

I recommend a new nut and a good setup.
    When strings are in too-wide of a nut slot, they can buzz and create weird overtones, and it might cost you some volume and sustain.

Go for it.
  3. Rev J

Rev J

I know Steve Swallow plays one. Gary Willis' "Bass Lite" is an Ibanez ATK 5 strung with a high C. I had a bass teacher in college who played a Modulus with one and a Hipshot D tuner so that he could have the range of a 6 while only playing a 5.

I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience doing this I just went for the 6.

C/S,
    Rev J
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

But I have to contribute that the only way to approach a 6er extension on a 5er, without tunin' it by 5ths, it's usin' a bass extender and downtunin' it a full step

I mean... You take a 5er you decide to string E, A, D, G, C, then place a Hipshot bass extender (if E machinehead's open to do that) so that you go D, A, D, G, C
    Finally you downtune it a full step:
    D, G, C, F, Bb and whenever your bass extender works: C, G, C, F, Bb
    This way you're just a half step up from 6er low B and a full step down from 6er high C

Otherwise I don't really get how your teacher could cover the extended range of a 6er with regularly tunin' 5er and detuner.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. Rev J

Rev J

I believe (and I could be wrong) that you can adjust a Hipshot to go down to any pitch below the one it's tuned to with the only limitation being the distance between tuning heads. I also read recently they have an extender key with 2 adjustable stop points so you can detune to any 2 notes.

Also realize I'm trying to remember about 20 years ago. I seem to remember him telling me that the bass in question was a Modulus 6 that he had a new nut made for and the extra tuning machine removed because he didn't like the spacing on the 5. This is the best of my recollection and I could be completely wrong on this.

C/S,
    Rev J
  6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The first 5-string bass, the Fender V, was strung E-C.
  7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Absolutely. I briefly had a four-string tuned CGCF with the Hipshot set all the way down to A, in order to handle a Mastodon cover in AGCF tuning that my band played in its live set.
  8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

A lot of people here use EADGC on their fivers. It is a matter of opinion if that gives you an alternative to a six string just it is a matter of opinion if BEAD gives you an alternative to a fiver. If you plan to stay in the high range on the six and the low range on the five then those two tunings do let a five and a four do the job for you. I tune my fiver CGDAE so it really does give me more than the range of a BEADGC six.

Ken
  9. Mikio

Mikio

Not a new concept, many people go EADGC, as stated before.