1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

6-string bass bridge with tight spacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jareddroid, Mar 24, 2014.

1. jareddroid

jareddroid

I want to build a bass that will be tuned E to E, like a Bass VI. However, I do NOT want a trem bridge. NO Whammy, thank you. I prefer to stay in tune.

Does anyone know of a 6 string bridge that will work for bass strings, but has tight spacing? I hope to go one of two routes:

A) Something designed for a bass vi (but no trem!). In this case I will probably have warmoth make me a bass vi neck (I am aware that this is a short-scale neck and my new bridge would have to be repositioned). Perhaps a regular guitar bridge would work?? But off course, it would have to provide a good home for my BASS STRINGS.
    or

B) A six string bass bridge with spacing tight enough to match a standard 5-string bass neck. Since I won't have a Low B, I'm confident that there would be enough spacing on a 5-string neck for E-A-D-G-B-E. Finding a nut hasn't been a challenge, and it will be easy enough to drill the holes in the headstock where I want them, but all the bridges I'm seeing are 3 1/8". I'd like to avoid having the huge 6-string neck, if possible. Its too much! Anyway, I'm pretty sure a 5-string bass neck is wider than a bass vi neck, right? (I can't find dims anywhere for a bass vi neck).

Any advice? I'm open to suggestions

Also, anyone with a Bass VI mind measuring the width of the neck at the 12th fret and at the end where it attaches to the body? I'd really appreciate it. (I can't find these dims online anywhere!) Thanks in advance!!

THANKS SO MUCH to anyone providing feedback on this question!!!