6 string bass neck width/string spacing, what would you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandenSteele, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BrandenSteele

BrandenSteele

Hello! I am looking to buy this bass and I would be mostly slapping. Would it be a good bass for slapping? Has anyone had experience with this particular bass or 6 string basses? I am going into the fretless 6 string world. Thanks!:bassist:

2. mp40smg

mp40smg

You are going to focus on slapping.. On an unlined fretless??

Would not be my first choice. Certainly doable. But, with a lot of practice, doable.

3. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

that's really thin.. I play a warwick 6er and it's 16.5 even, which still feels terrible thin. I do use thicker strings as well though, so it's more likely to be around 15.5 spacing at the lower strings. I don't slap, but I do recommend atleast 17-18 mm spacing.

4. SteveC

SteveC

I don't know that I would go into the fretless 6 string world for slapping. Not that you can't slap on a 6 string or a fretless, but depending on the sound you are going for, I'd rethink my bass choice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I don't do any slapping, so I like it as tight as possible. I saw a recent vid about John Myung's current setup and according to his guitar tech his basses have 5 string necks but are customized with 6 strings to make it even narrower, otherwise, it would be difficult for him to do what he has to do. I'd LOVE to try one of those... oh to have the ear of a guitar company! I currently use an ESP B206SM which has 17mm spacing and I wish it were tighter.

7. Blake Bass

Blake Bass

That is not a good bass for slapping..a fretted 4 or 5 string would be a much better choice. Not saying it can't be done but a 6 string unlined fretless isn't even on the radar when I think of basses well suited for slapping.

8. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

In my opinion.. you might be better suited to buying a fretted 6. There are few fretless players that use slap technique at all.... Les Claypool comes to mind- but it's a pretty specific sound. If you're listening to that marcus miller slap sound, I think frets are about as mandatory as a thumb.

9. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

+1

10. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Media:
    +2

11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I slap on a 6'er, but it most certainly has frets. If you're looking for the Claypool slapped fretless sound, I don't see why not, except for the tight string spacing. My 6'er has 16.5mm spacing, and I have to admit it does bug me just a little. The next 6 string I get will definitely have wider spacing.

12. Weiyun

Weiyun

I've owned one of these. They're really not bad at all for the price, but I wouldn't choose it for slapping because:

a) the string spacing is VERY tight
    b) fingerboard is untreated rosewood so you can't really use roundwounds (unless you want a really damp lifeless slap tone?)