6-string bass with wide spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker

Just curious... looking for good 6-string basses with a wide string spacing, like the Yamaha TRB-6. It has 19mm (I think) string spacing at the bridge.

What else is available out there at a reasonable price? :)
  2. thumbin

thumbin

Reasonable price... Problaby not... But my 6 string warwick thumb bo (broadneck) has 20mm spacing :)
  3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Was gonna say this. :)

Nice bass.
  4. MrWalker

MrWalker

That's wide! :)

I'm fine with the TRB, and I think that's 19mm... I also had a Thumb nearly 20 years ago, but obviously it's too long agoto remember... the balance and weight killed my back. Apart from that, the Thumb was a great bass! :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Ibanez BTB's have nice wide spacing, feels a lot like my Lakland.
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You can get a Q6 w/ wide spacing and that'd be a treat to play!! :bassist:
  8. BassoP

BassoP

I seem to recall Ken smiths being on the wide side, but they aren't cheap.

This is the one instance where I wouldn't reccomend carvin. They are great basses, but their 6s are on the narrow side.
  9. MrWalker

MrWalker

Unfortunatley, F Bass, Smith and a few other "custom" builders are way beyond what I consider "reasonable". :D

Stambaugh isn't too expenssive, though... but still more than I'd consider "comfortable". :)
  10. ehque

ehque

the ibanez BTBs have narrower spacing the more strings they have. i had a 1206e, and the string spacing was only about 17mm.
  11. spade2you

spade2you

As far as I can remember, most entry level 6 string basses usually featuer 17mm spacing. Most entry level 6 stringers usually hang 'em low, so the comfort of wide spacing isn't much of an issue.
  12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Media:
    My Linc Luthier 6-string has wide spacing--although I might be parting with this bass sometime in the near future.
  13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works/Barker Bass
    Rondo's Brice Prestige Z6 is 19mm ... relatively inexpensive ($450 or so) and feels very much like the TRB .... :cool:
  14. Dave Muscato

Dave Muscato

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    The new Korean-made MTD Z6s have wider spacing, 18mm though. They're about ~$1200 new. The Perfect Bass has a discount for TBers, I think.

I'm interested in this thread, as well... eventually I want to get a 6er, but I've never really looked into it because I like wide spacing, and most of the wide-spaced 6s are very high-end.

2nd the Modulus sixes, though. They are expensive, but great basses. I used to have a Modulus Quantum 5 and loved it.

Dave
  15. thumbin

thumbin

I played 2 6 strings awhile back at GC an ibanez btb (its pretty awesome and I love the wood they choosed for it) and a yamaha (I cant remember the model but the string spacing had to be 22mm at least!) For the price though... Check out the ibanez, It has bartolinis in it and a really nice preamp. I believe the neck was rosewood/rosewood, and the body was walnut? or mahogany... Problaby mahogany... But either way it looks pretty nice and sounds really good...
  16. MrWalker

MrWalker

I guess I'll have to go home and measure my TRB-6... it's one of the first TRBs with a bolt-on neck, it has the narrow pickups, identical to the JP signature pickups. I was pretty sure it had 19mm string spacing... but it feels big. :)

I'm looking at the Z6, too... it seems like a good bass at a good price, so it's got my attention. If the Ibanez BTB is 17mm I guess it's too narrow for my taste... but of course it deserves a mentioning! :)

There are of course the "budget" Spector and Dean Edge in this end of the market, too. The Brice and Douglas basses are probably good values, too.

I'll be mainly looking in the second-hand market, though... always more cost-effective! :)

Thanks for your suggestions! Keep 'em coming!
  17. DocBop

DocBop

I been wanting a 6-string for a long time, but price has stopped me. I finally bought a used Zon this week. String spacing is a hair tighter, 17mm, but the necks are real nice. Used Zon's are hard to find, but when you do the prices are usually decent, less than a used Smith or USA MTD's.

As for the new MTD Z6 play one before you buy. I have one of the Korean MTD's and like all of Michael's basses they play incredibly, but the sound on the Korean MTD's tends to be thin. So plug one in and check it out first.
  18. MrWalker

MrWalker

Thanks for your input! I've heard other people mention the same issue with the Korean MTDs, so I have a couple of worries regarding the Z6. I've got a Grendel (which sounds great, BTW), and I'm also worried about the balance on the Z6. The Grendel is slightly neck-heavy (but not really a problem), but with the wider neck I'm worried that the Z6 might dive. On the other hand, these basses are so lightweight that a little lead in the control compartment may solve the problem. :)

But there is a distributor in Norway, so I think I'll manage to get a test before a decision must be made. :)

:bassist:

I do play a TRB at the moment, and am happy with that... just considering the options :)
  19. -Timothy-

-Timothy- Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Uni•Sound
    USA Curbow! My Curbow IEP 6 got 20mm spacing! I just love it! :bassist: but they aren't cheap unless you get one used. Yamaha TRB is good as well!
  20. Hullaballoo

Hullaballoo

Matt Pulcinella 6'ers are 19mm. Nice basses - mpgguitars.com
  21. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Loved my Cirrus 6 but sold it due to the narrow (17mm) spacing. May eventually pick up a TRB-6, but if Peavey ever starts making a wide (19mm) Cirrus 6 I'll come running back.

Also love the wide spacing on my Lakland 55-02D. Hey Dan! How about a 66-02 with the same wide spacing?

Also wish Carvin would have kept the wide string spacing on the BB76, just as they did on the BB75. That would have been a winner.