6 string Brice Bass, hmm maybe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

Well i ve been reading post after post. And i think im going to give it a try. Ive got my eye on a Brice HXB-406 Bubinga. The bass looks pretty sweet. Ive gotten some "pricyer" gear in the past. Bure I really dont have a whol elot of money right now. IT looks like a good deal. IM just crossing my fingers in hopes i dont get a lemon. What are some things you guys did to upgrade these basses, IE PUPs, pre amp, bridge? Thanks fro all your help in the posts for these basses.
    -Joe

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

I got a V2 6 string a couple months ago and all it needed was a good setup and a fresh set of strings. Don't expect a high quality instrument and you won't be dissapointed. Make sure you do a setup.

3. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

I noticed that on the website there is a list price and the sale price. The sale price on the babinga is around 400 bucks. So do they sell these at the the 279 price and have the list price up there so ya think your getting a deal? Anfd should i go regular scale or long scale "35". If it matters i dont detune. I always play in standard. So i guess the extra tension helps with stringe rattle on the B?

4. Philbiker

The list price on the Rondo website is a meaningless marketing tool. Ignore it. Some people think that a 35" scale makes for a better sounding/playing/whatever bass. I don't and I've played and own both 34" and 35" basses. Do you?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Swap the pickups out, give it a setup and new strings and you have a really decent bass! I am considering picking up a 6 string fretless.

7. E-rock

E-rock

I've got the HXB406 fretless, and I wish I could have gotten it in a 35" scale (only 34" was offered). The B is a little loose, and I think the extra inch of tension would help. The pickups (in active mode) are little noisey, but they're replaceable. Overall, I was suprised by the good quality for the price. I'd say go for it.

8. NJL

NJL

like i told warwickthumb, i'm going to get a brice 6 in lefty as soon as i get a new central air unit at the house. can't survive the Texas heat without an AC!

:D

9. JSCHRO7376

JSCHRO7376

The tightness of a low B depends partially on the scale. Sure, a 35" scale provides a tighter low B. Also the angle of the headstock plays a very important factor when it comes to that subject.

Since the Brice headstock is lacking the appropriate angle to secure a good low B, I would be careful. The string through body concept at the 406 model is still no solution, the low B is very floppy.

10. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

well here is a bit of an update. I ordered the 6 string today. So im not expecting much given the price, but at least a decent bass. I can always return it in 30 days, so thats cool.
    Joe

11. NJL

NJL

i hope it works out for you! :)

please IM me once you get it and you are settled in with it - i'm very curious...

thanks

12. KeiBau

KeiBau

Replacing the original strings with D'Addario Chrome flats made all the difference on my Brice V2. I've got a set of TI Jazz flats to go on it as well, but just haven't tried them yet. Setup came fairly decent on mine. The B of the original set of strings was so floppy it was unplayable. With the new set, the B is really nice. I probably will eventually swap out the pickups and electronics, but for now, the originals are working OK. The strings were a must do though.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I installed a Bartolini NTMB preamp in mine (HXB-406 Bubinga). I didn't like the original that much, but it was acceptable. I may change the pickups sometime, but it sounds pretty good as it is.

14. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

how much is the pre amp, and pick ups for barts? And were can i find string through bridges? I want to change the hardware to gold

15. Showdown

I got the Bart preamp from http://www.bestbassgear.com/ for $100 with free shipping. A real bargain. They also have pickups for $125 each. I don't know about the bridge, but you might try allparts.com or Warmoth.com.

16. Philbiker

I have a 6 string fretless and the pickups sound fine, no need to replace at all. All mine needed was a setup and some new strings to be usable.
    I completely disagree that headstock angle is the determining factor on "B" strings. My Fender USA Jazz V has a flat headstock and the "B" is fine. The "B" on my 6 string Brice is just fine with the angle.

17. Showdown

Mine too. As good as the B string on my Yamaha and my Carvin.

18. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

Well according to UPS the bass should be here by thursday. I hope its not a lemon :crying:

19. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

just a few more days. IM playing now at two diffrent church services. I cant wait to try it out at the later church service. We really get to lay down some cool grooves. And i might be playing in a new band too. ^ string will look nice with all of this.
    -Joe

20. Warwickthumb

Warwickthumb

OK its moment manybe a few of you were waiting for; what i thought about this bass. Well it came today, and in one piece. IM a bit confused now. I paid a good amount for a Warwick Thumb. Well it didnt sound all that good. After trying new strings, and still no satisfactory results, i sold it for around 1500. I recently bought an Ibanez BTB, and im fairly satisfied with it. This 6 string Brice sounds awesome!!!!! And i paid alot less for it then I did the Warwick or the Ibanez. Yes theres a few "cosmetic" flaws. BUt nothing that takes away from playing. I also put together a Fender Fretless jazz bass, and that sounds awesome, and cost me about nothing becasue it was scrap parts i had. So apprently cheaper for some reason sounds better! So over the years ive come to this conclusion. And its a huge duh statement anyways. Good basses dont make Bass players sound good. Good Bass players make basses sound Great. I dont have recordings right now. BUt ill be going into the studio soon to record for a local girl that wants to break into the Latin record biz. So if i can, ill put a sound clip up. I dont see any thing that needs to be fixed right now, pickups work ect. Maybe a bridge were I can adjust the string spacing would be nice.
    -Joe

21. rossmadia

rossmadia

I have to agree, I love my new Brice! I was shocked with the playability and quality of such an inexpensive bass. Other than new strings and a good setup, I don't thik that anythig really needs changing. The pickups sound great and the spacing is just about perfect. If your doubting this bass because of the price, don't.