6 String Flatwound Set Recommendations? Venturing into 6-string fretless...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by OneMoreRobot, Jan 22, 2013.

1. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Hello all,

I'm picking up a 6-string fretless on Saturday ($160 off Craigslist :hyper:) and the owner currently has it strung with stainless steels :eyebrow: so I would like to replace them with flat wounds. The only "affordable" set I've found on JustStrings.com is a Rotosound pack for $50.

Does anyone have any prior experience with a 6 string set of Rotosound flat wounds or perhaps a different recommendation in that price range?

Thanks
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Sure thing :) R.Cocco makes very good quality strings. They are about the same price like the Rotosounds, but you will like them for sure :)

Otherwise Pyramid strings might be a option.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    There are other 6 string "sets" you can get...

GHS and D'Addario are less than that but you will need to purchase a 5 string set and add a single High-C unless the website you are shopping put a 6 string set package together for you.
  4. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Thanks for the suggestion, but from their website it looks like R. Cocco doesn't make flatwounds. A Google search actually brought me to another TalkBass thread where these Carvin strings seemed to get a good rap: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/FW60. I'll probably try those out.

Also, this bass I'm getting has been modified to only allow for a string-through-body setup with a set wooden bridge. Will flatwounds last long when they're strung through the back or will they easily break at the saddle?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Ah sorry for that, I thought they made flatwound too :p
  7. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Cool, I checked out your website and it looks easy to make a set of D'addarios for a good price. I've tried Chromes before on a 4 string and I liked them.
  8. john m

john m Supporting Member

I currently have Rotosound Flats (77s ?) on my Elrick 5, with a high C.

My old bass, a Modulus Q6 sported TI's.

When my Elrick needs new strings (or sooner), I plan to go back to the TI's because of the lower string tension.

The roto's are like pressing down coat hangers.
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Awesome! Yeah It is easy to add a High-C. But it sounds like you need Extra Long scale for your bass if you go Thru-Body and D'Addario's C string is only 36.5" long Ball to Silk so will need to be strung top load (If you get Super Long D'Addario those can go thru-body).

I sent you a link for GHS 6 string sets which will work Thru-Body with the Super Long scale option.
  10. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

TalkBass is dank, I've missed this place. I'll be going with those GHS.

Yeah, I was really glad to find an alternative to that Rotosound set because I really don't like the brand... Thanks for the suggestions and info everyone.
  11. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

You definitely give yourself a lot more options by buying a 4 or 5 string set and then filling it out with singles.
  12. gary m

gary m

GHS flats...Carvin sells a six string set. Oh, right -- someone already said that.

Never mind. ;)
  13. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

I use Roto 77 flats on all my basses. U swear by them. Very warm, and sound great when hit hard.