1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

6 String Fretless Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heb9_28, Oct 27, 2012.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

***Video Posted on Page 2***

Just ordered this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251174057661

Brand is Harmonia. Couldn't find too much info about them. They have made some Cort Curbow knock offs that are apparently decent quality. Read some of the sellers reviews on ebay about this item and while there was one person unhappy with it there were a number who said (albeit briefly) that it was a good bass for the money.

The look is cool. I read a thread on here regarding some 7 string acoustic basses and people being worried about string tension, etc. but I guess the 7 stringer turned out to be decent (not sure what brand it was). Hopefully that will be the case here.

Anyways. Excited for it to come! :bassist:
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Looks good! :) I hope you will have a lot of fun with it! Cheers
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Cool looking Bass
    Do you know string spacing? 16mm-17.5mm- 18mm- 19mm?
  4. heb9_28

heb9_28

All I know is what the ad says. I had to do research to even figure out the brand. I was actually surprised that it listed the nut width.

When I get it I'll share pics and info. I hope the grain is as nice as the one in the picture.
  5. GM60466

GM60466

Let us know what its like.
  6. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

Hope you like it!!!! Let us know for sure. I actually would love something like this to use at church some. For the price, if it is pretty decent, it would be well worth it. Looking forward to hearing your reviews!!!
  7. heb9_28

heb9_28

Yeah I've already been considering some applications for church. Especially around Christmas time. Our WL recently wrote a song that I think it will fit great on.
  8. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

I'm shaking my fist at you right now, not sure if you can tell. I am seriously considering getting one of these now. I bought a cheap 4 string fretless acoustic, and I absolutely love it, and this might just be something I have to have.

Please, as soon as you get it, post EVERYTHING. Pictures, sound clips, impressions, what it smells like...EVERYTHING.

D@MN YOU!!!:D
  9. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

I saw that and was intrigued. I look forward to your review!
  10. heb9_28

heb9_28

I will be sure to do so. Pics and smells will probably come first. I'll have to dig out my recording gear and find time to get some clips down, but I'll give impressions as soon as I get it. What brand is your 4 string fretless acoustic?
  11. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

I got the Ibanez AEB5F. Guitar center had a sale going on so I picked it up for a song as I've always wanted a fretless acoustic, but didn't want to jump in too far as I already have 2 perfectly good basses. It has it's faults, like I wish it came in a natural finish, and some other very minor things (why put a tuner on a acoustic/electric that you can only use if it's plugged in? really Ibanez??? :eyebrow:), but I very much enjoy playing it and love that I can just sit down and noodle around it sans amplifier and make all sorts of cool sounds. It's also helped my ear a fair bit and gotten me to smooth out my phrasing and work with different playing styles.
    [​IMG]
  12. heb9_28

heb9_28

On the truck for delivery today! Hopefully a initial review tonight, maybe a few pics.
  13. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

not sure why I'm so excited, but I am. :hyper:
  14. heb9_28

heb9_28

It's here!

Very first impression: the string spacing is stupidly close. After noodling for a few minutes, I started to get used to it but.... woah.

The finish is.... non-existent. Basically stained and sealed. I think it's kind of cool, others might not think so.

The sound is... surprisingly good. I am gonna have a lot of fun with this guy.

More updates as I play more.
  15. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

This thread could prove interesting.
  16. El-Bob

El-Bob

17. heb9_28

heb9_28

Here they are. Not the best, but my camera isn't great.

The more I play it, the more I like it. It does have a really nice sound. I think the finish is cool, the grain is beautiful (as you can see). The ad says it's made of Willow wood. Never seen a bass or guitar made with Willow wood so I dunno, but it sounds and looks good. I'm already getting used to the close string spacing and don't mind it as much. I obviously didn't have any intention of slapping on this thing anyways.

Any questions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. MD

MD

Looks nice. Clips.
    One pic looks like the label lines up with your base board as if there was no back to the bass.
    Maybe it's just me!
  19. ErnieD

ErnieD

wonder if I over-bought for my first ABG. I just ordered a Boulder Creek Fretless 5 in natural. I did quite abit of research on TB and other places about ABG's. BUt guess I shoulda at least gone to GC and played one first. Heck, I mighta found one there I liked.

Of course there are way more pricey one's out there, so I kinda went middle of the road price/feature wise. Been PM-ing with a TBer that just got a BC fretted 5er. He has his 4 string BC in classifieds here. He seems to like these basses pretty well. Just wish their fretless basses came with unlined fingerboards. Oh well, we'll see, should arrive next week. I did not buy a hardcase for it, so hope they pack well and it gets here in one piece. :eek:

Luckily, I chose a online store with a 30 day return and they pay return shipping, so I got that working for me.

Goonga. No. Ga-goonga, loonga. :D
  20. MD

MD

No way!