6 string fretless like a G&L L2000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MontzterMash, Nov 10, 2012.

1. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

Hi, I love my fretless G&L L2000, and would also like a six string. However, G&L's only go to five. What to do?

Pretty random question I know, but does anyone have recommendations for six strings that in maybe some random way reminds you of a G&L?

Cause someone's gonna ask, what do I like in particular? I guess it's mostly the famed versatility of the electronics, the neck and balance of it, and the nice warm 'old-school' thump it's got.

Thanks!
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

No question that inquiring minds want to know! I've got three L2500s that are my main axes, but not my ONLY axes because as you note they do not come in 6 strings. Another similar problem is my Carvin AC50 semi-hollow body acoustic that only comes in 5 strings.

I presume a lot of this is that 6ers are simply much less popular than 5ers that are much less popular than 4 bangers. Just look at the who owns what polls here. I'm sure that's one thing backing Fender off. Cripes, they don't even offer a 5er PJ let alone a 6er.

But I can also understand the other side of the coin. An L2500 isn't really a made in heaven 6er in my opinion. It is a bit too agressive and old school compared to say my Alembic or Ken Smith 6ers. And as wonderful as G&L MIA L2500 basses are (I REALLY Love 'em) they still do NOT measure up to the cutting power and over all tone and stability of my Modulus 6er.

But having said all that, which means that I'm really happy with what I've got, I still have a hankering for a G&L 6er. I consider it unplowed land and unexplored territory. I don't really know WHAT it might do for 6 string playing, but I have this feeling it MIGHT be something good.

I did temporarily solve the Fender fretless 6er thing by installing an ebony blank plank fingerboard on my passive SX Fender clone 6er. And I like it. Which was good to know given I didn't fork out the Steve Bailey fortune to gain this information.

Unfortunately modding a Tribute from a 5 to a 6 is a much more serious job! G&L should "test the waters" with a Tribute 6er. Hint. Hint.
  3. jfh2424

jfh2424

The bad news is that in my many years of wandering through basses, I have never found another bass that sounds like an L series bass. You can like it or not, but nothing sounds like that.

So I guess we are out of luck for a six string L series bass. That is really not the kind of thing G&L seems to like to do, in my opinion.

John
  4. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

Was wondering if a bongo might be of the same ilk?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I was going to say Bongo as well...
  7. tkozal

tkozal

I own a L2000, and a 5 string Bongo. I would also suggest a 6 string Bongo
  8. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I've had my L2500s strung up E-C at various times. I REALLY liked how it sounded that way - especially in single coil mode. The C-string wasn't thin at all. I no longer have the fretted L2500 and my fretless is currently B-G, but I'd consider a Tribute M or L 2500 just to string E-C.

There really isn't anything else out there that sounds like an L-series. As much as I'd love for G&L to make a 6-string, I seriously doubt it will happen. The best compromise I found was the E-C thing, and if I was committed to having a C-string, I'd definitely put a D-tuner on it. However, I value the B-string over the C-string most of the time, though I could sure use a "tenor" strung bass today for a Mandolin/bass duo recording session I have this afternoon. I'll make do without.