6 String Rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LeoSash, Jan 6, 2013.

1. LeoSash

LeoSash

So a couple of weeks ago i decided since i barely use my B string, i decided to get a 7 string set for my 6 string set and tune it EADGCF, but now i got bad rattle on most of my strings. I Suspect it's a nut issue because its used to the BEADGC i used for around a year or so.

However if i were to get a new nut, it wouldn't be much different because all the 6 string nuts are for BEADGC and it would be a waste. Should i maybe bring to someone to have the existing nut filled? or should i just try and get a new nut for my new tuning anyways?

2. spacebassed

spacebassed

With that string set you'll also have less string tension, so you need a new nut AND a setup/truss rod adjustment if you want the instrument to play properly and intonate correctly.

Any proficient tech will be able to cut you a new nut.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Did you check your relief? Probably your truss rod needs adjusting because of the difference in the string tension between the two sets.

It is best to get a properly cut nut when going to smaller strings, but I tuned by Carvin AC50 EADGC for a long time and never bothered to get a new nut and it never gave me any fits. Probably wasn't optimum, but I didn't even have to put pieces of dive bar matchbook covers around the strings to take up the slack.

I think the problem is the truss rod and relief.

4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Whoa, whoa, whoa....open strings, or fretted? Both?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ezmar

Ezmar

Just saying, 6 String Rattle sounds like an old bluegrass tune.

Might steal the title and write an old bluegrass tune for it. :D