1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

6 string set for Ibanez BTB?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I got an Ibanez BTB, which is the awesome news. The not so awesome is that the strings on it are kind of dead and rattly, so I'm looking for something better. The GC employee where I got the bass has the same or similar and has recommended DR Sunbeams. I've been considering those, Nickel Lo-Riders, and D'Addario Nickels primarily. I'm looking for a tone kind of like Thomas Miller on Symphony X's [The Divine Wings of Tragedy[/I], see here:

Nice and defined in the mids, without too much treble or bass, to my ear. I know part of it's the amp, and I am already employing a frowny-face EQ, but the strings are another part.

It appears the strings have to be 38'' long to fit the headstock of this bass. Any ideas?
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

DR's are wound to 38" so any DR's will be fine. If you want D'Addario you need Super Long.

You can get any of them at www.bassstringsonline.com

Sunbeams are lower tension strings with a round core, so they have a nice supple feel and full midrange sound.
    Nickel LoRiders and D'Addario XL are hex core, so they will have a tighter feel and brighter sound.
  3. Hamlet7768

Hm, sounds like Sunbeams might be up my alley then. Thanks! Do they rattle much?
  4. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

sunbeams are great when new but die off terribly.
    how about a set of EB slinkies?
  5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I'm gonna be that guy that suggests Circle K's. They come in long scale, and while not as bright as stainless, have a wonderful presence in the upper midrange, and last forever. I have sets on my 6 string and my 4 string, and they're 8 months and 1 year old, respectively - still sound like new nickels.
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

Why not going for Elixer?
  7. Hamlet7768

Been considering those. I've heard they die kinda quick; how do they sound dead?

Elixirs...eh. I'm not as big a fan of the new string sound as I am of that magical almost-flat "broken-in" sound. Again, see the link I've posted for an idea of the sound I seek.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Slinkies die WAY quicker than Sunbeams!
  9. Hamlet7768

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up going with the Sunbeams. Deadness can be fixed rolling to the bridge more, I think. Plus I roll the treble off on this bass anyway.
  10. Maz

Maz

If your BTB is one with the MKII pups/pre I think you're going to be pretty happy with your choice of strings.
  11. Hamlet7768

It might be? It's the 1006E, bolt-neck. You can see it in the BTB club thread.
  12. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

13. Webskipper

Webskipper Supporting Member

Elixers came on my btb676F.

If you want them, you can have them for $29 and I'll donate $50 to the forum. Days old Barely used.

I'm waiting for the TiJF346's to arrive tomorrow.
  14. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

DRs are beautiful on all Ibanez basses. I've been using High Beams since I started playing but recently have been looking into some other DR strings.

Try the High Beams. You WILL be impressed.
  15. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Yea but for that 4-5 days they sound good they sound good. Some of the best strings out of the pack just don't have the longevity.
  16. crg123

crg123

Another vote for Circle K, really worth the wait. Skip just knows what he's doing.