6-string set for Spector, E Flat

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by apdamron, Jan 11, 2013.

1. apdamron

apdamron

Looking for a new set of strings to use with my Euro 6LX. My band plays in E flat so i would prefer something with a higher gauge or just a naturally higher tension so my strings dont flop everywhere. I do a lot of lead and solo work as well, slapping, tapping, effects ladens. Don't ever use a pick, fingers exclusively. Always used nickel strings but Im open to new things. Any ideas?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Depending on how heavy you like your strings, I highly recommend Circle K Strings. Either the .136, .142, or .150 sets.

What is your current set and what size E-string are you using? Do you like the feel of it tuned down a half step?

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

You could take a look at Pyramid strings too! They are specialized in heavy gauges, just like Circle K strings. Maybe something like .150 or .160 set will do :)

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Fodera strings are great for what you describe. Higher in tension so you don't have to use a heavy gauge for Eb and they sound excellent.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SkruffyTurner

SkruffyTurner

Im also trying to decide what kind of strings to use on my Six string Ibanez SdGr706 tunned AEADGC. And also do a lot of solo stuff in the high end (above 12th fret on the highest strings.)

I've heard flatwounds don't pick up much high end and arnt very good for slap but I love the sound/feel :/
    What

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I recommend some roundwound Stainless Steel strings. They provide the clearest tone. You don't need a have gauge, since you only down tune the Low B string to an A.

Take a look at this set, from Pyramid. They are Stainless Steel and it has a thick B string (.140) which is a good gauge for tuning it down to a Low A.

http://schneidermusik.de/shop1/product_info.php/search_in_categories/1/products_id/8063

8. apdamron

apdamron

No i don't really like the feel of it tuned down to e flat, makes bending easier but i prefer the tensile strength and low action

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    So what strings and gauges are you using now?

EDIT: I'll just write down my suggestions for standard (half-step down) tuning.

If you currently use a .105 E-string, I'd recommend getting the Circle K .158 set.
    If you currently use a .100 E-string, I'd recommend getting the Circle K .150 set.
    If you currently use a .095 E-string, I'd recommend getting the Circle K .142 set.

If you do tune back to standard tuning often, you should go with one gauge thinner than what I've listed (e.g., if you use a .100 E-string and frequently switch between E and Eb, get the .142 set).