1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

6-String Short Scale Brice with EADGBE tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bwardmusic, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bwardmusic

bwardmusic

After years of buying basses (I have bought and sold some 12 basses in my lifetime, and built three for myself as well), I have FINALLY found one I really love. It's stuck now for about 7 months and I play it daily -- and lately, even in my jazz and rock bands in rehearsal (string spacing is narrower so I don't chance it in public yet).

It's a Brice 5-string, 30" scale that I purchased from Rondo Music. I have tuned it up like a guitar. The EADG strings are typical bass frequency strings like any 4 string bass, but the high frequency B and E are from a piccolo bass set.

What I like about it, is that it goes up into the upper octave without having to play the tiny frets at the body end of the fingerboard, unless I want really extended range.

I also like the fact that all the guitar chords I know can be used in solos, and that I'm simultaneously learning how to read high notes on the B and E strings as I would on a guitar. Have visions of eventually being a jazz background music solo act with backing tracks on either guitar and some songs on the 6-string Brice and others on a standard guitar.

I play jazz and fusion with it mostly and use the upper strings for solos. I call it the PiccoLow or (Pico-Low) bass because it combines the low-end register of a traditional 4 string bass with the higher register of a piccolo bass.

I've always wondered by people prefer 6 strings that are tuned BEADGC when that low B is so hard to hear a lot of the time. I've wondered why this kind of guitar-like tuning isn't more common for bassists who play improvised solos. Thoughts?
  2. Mehve

Mehve

If it's working for you, awesome. But the percentage of people actively soloing in the high end is probably a lot less than youtube would suggest. It's more of an advantage to be able reach down lower when necessary.

And on a related note, if you can't hear your low B, it may be time to either tweak your EQ or break your keyboardist's left hand.
  3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Did you do your own mod to make the 5 into a 6?
  4. mc_muench

mc_muench

no pics, no bass
  5. gary m

gary m

So...if I'm understanding this, what you've got is a baritone guitar that looks like a bass? Or a bass that you've converted for use as a baritone? Or as a poor man's Fender Bass VI?

Not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to get a mental picture of this. ;)
  6. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Gallien Krueger, S.Duncan, Dredgetone, Pigtronix,DTAR
    I have a Rick Turner Renaissance 5 string- short scale, built to be tuned a-d-g-c-f. I can play bass on it, read cello lines, play opened voice chords, etc. I had it built because I love the Ren..but I also have played Fender BassVI's for a long time as well. But you can't really use proper right hand technique on one..This is spaced like a conventional bass. It has a mag pu and his DTar piezo system in the bridge, and I use it in a dual mono fashion.. though I play different basses for different groups/projects, this is my desert island ax.
  7. johnp352

Disclosures:
    here you go..

Attached Files:

8. gary m

gary m

Ah, yes...I "get" that. Pics are great for clearing things up.
  9. johnp352

Disclosures:
    As a player of bari's, basses, Fender VI's etc for about 40 years..the problem is not so much the tuning or range, but more the ergonomics..It's nice to have an instrument where you can comfortably play using proper right hand finger style technique..when you want to play "bass" ..but also have the extended range of a bari. My instrument above is actually in the range of a cello ..a little more on the low end. Sometimes I tune it in "G" as well, G-C-f-Bb-Eb, IOW, a whole step down.

I took a look at extended full scale instruments, but didn't want the size or weight or ergonomics. Also, if I really want a low end extension, I use an octave pedal on the mag pickup, leaving the piezo as is- that sound I like quite a bit, it's almost like tracking an acoustic baritone with a low square wav synth...actually, it is ;)
  10. johnp352

Disclosures:
    Gary- I am playing the Ren in my avatar as well..will give you a different perspective
  11. yainkee

yainkee

I just bought the same bass with the same idea. What gauges do you use for EADGBE?

(As an aside, I'm a little conflicted about this since the low B turned out to be WAY tighter and more defined than I thought it would be. Really impressed)
  12. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

If/when I'm in a position to buy another bass, there is a good possibility I'm going to go for something similar...I'm not a guitarist at all, but it'd be nice to have the option of playing some chords up top...especially since I've already got four great basses that are BEADG.

I'd love to hear samples!
  13. yainkee

yainkee