1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

6 string short scale semi-hollow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steinny, Mar 15, 2014.

1. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
    Does it exist? I'm aware of some hollow bass-Vi/bartione style instruments but I'm really looking for a proper short scale 6 string bass.

There are plenty of 4 and 5ers but apparently no short-scale hollow 6ers....

2. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I have seen them occasionally, but they're all custom jobs and not anything stock. And to be honest, they resemble more "modern" looking basses hollowed out with f-holes installed instead of looking like actual hollowbodies. My guess is that there is such a limited demand for hollow 6's and 5's that nobody makes them on a regular basis.

5. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Buy-it-now:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-String-El...g-/190785903299?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c6bb9dac3
    Bid-and-hope:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-String-El...g-/191097100012?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c7e4656ec
    Now, the above is 33" so not quite what you're looking for.
    (It also might just be a POC, for all I know; no, I don't mean "proof of concept"...
    This model is usually on the ebay under different names; I'm afraid I can't remember an earlier one offhand - you might find TBers that took the plunge.)
    This said, I don't get the impression (semi) hollowbody six string basses abound; and certainly short scale B-to-C wide spaced sixers are rare.
    You could get one and capo it on 1st or 2nd fret - instant short scale (but wider "nut" and neck, same total length, same neck dive, in all likelihood).

6. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Nov 30, 2005
    Denver
  7. steinny

steinny

Mar 7, 2008
    California
    If this were 30" scale it would be exactly what I'm looking for--I'm planning on tuning it E-E, like a big guitar.

I've been considering pulling the trigger on that model for a number of months now, but given the price point I can only imagine that the quality is barely serviceable, at best...