1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

6 strings bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Karimsamir, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

Hey, I was wondering if I want to buy a 6 strings bass guitar, I saw a second hand rarely played Yamaha RbXJ6 and I wanted to get it. But the day I got the money (800$) it was already sold. Now I'm searching for a 6 strings bass with good quality as well as smooth and thin ( not round from the back) fingerboard. It would also preferably be thin and light with the same price as the one I was going to buy. Putting into consideration I live in Egypt so we might not have all varieties of basses here.

Thank you,

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I think a Schecter Stiletto Custom 6 will do it for you. It's about $600 and it's a light weight bass.

2 colours are available :

Natural Satin

[​IMG]

Vampyre Red Satin

[​IMG]

3. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

I don't really have any recommendations as far as a bass (the schecter sounds good, I used to have one similar, except it was the Studio; having played a 5-string version of the Custom, I'd say the Custom is better despite being cheaper), but regarding your location, I'd highly recommend looking into a reshipper to expand your options.

I live in Australia, and while I think we might be a bit luckier regarding gear availability than Egypt, it's still nowhere near as good as the US. A lot of ebay sellers and music sites won't ship outside CONUS/CAN, but they'll happily send it to a reshipper, who can then in turn send it on to you. I've had numerous basses sent to me from the US, never had a single problem of damage in transit.

By all means look locally if you prefer, but I think even buying retail from the US will make your budget go a lot further, not to mention the used market.

4. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

@wolffgang..

Well, thank you so much man, I will scout for this one for sure.. When it comes to getting things from the state.. Normally, on musical instruments, we pay almost 42% customs and taxes as well as the expensive shipping. I was looking for some warwicks and musicman.. Then I discovered they are way out of my budget..

My other option right now, is trying to build my own.. I think it should worth a shot.. Just need some heavy research.. And a way to find mahogany wood in here.. Which I think is impossible

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

My advice wouldn't be to build a bass, but start with some decent cheaper bass but which is made of decent wood and then start modifying the things about it you feel need improved.

I don't know what kind of import cheaper basses can be found in Egypt, but I've made a lot of decent basses out of the chinese SX brand. They are made from Ash or Alder wood and are a great starting point. Also I've got an maple over ash ESP LTD. It's pretty nice as is. What you don't want is a cheap bass that does not have decent wood. These are sometimes plywood or cheap soft wood or composite materials. Putting more money into that makes no sense. But if the bass is decent wood to start and has a good neck or one that can worked on to be good, you can justify paying double for some import parts like bridges, pickups or tuners. Even ifyou have to refinish the body it's not that big a deal.

I'd say that after you've rebuilt a couple of these import basses THEN you will be much better able to build your own once you know what everything in the bass does and how you'd like it to be.

Another option would be to find a nice used Ibanez SR506 in the US and just pay the import duty on it. They are cheap enough and great enough basses that even with added expense you still get a great 6er without an outrageous amount of money.

7. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Find a used Carvin... you will not be disappointed...

8. pfox14

pfox14

Bass shopping in Egypt has got to be an adventure. Good luck

9. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

When it comes to bass shopping in egypt, it not quite easy.. U know the teens dream of being guitarists or drummers.. So bassists are limited here and their stuff are way expensive..

I was thinking about the SR506 and I loved the 4 strings one.. But it has a terrible amount of mid range in it.. Because of the mahogany used with the bartollini pickups.

My main concern in a 6 strings is the B string, the weight of the bass itself, and the most important thing is that the back of the neck ( the other side of the fretboard ) shouldn't be round so I can easily play as it's my first 6 strings

I have a Yamaha TRB1004, such a great one but way too heavy that it damaged my back after a 3 hours gig.. But when it comes to sound.. It's a perfect one.. Like a high-end bass.

As I said it's not that easy here to choose. Also 1$ is almost 7EGP. So a 1000$ bass is actually 7 times more expensive for me