1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

60's epiphone Newport

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phender6, Mar 29, 2011.

1. phender6

phender6

I just got this from a guy I worked with for 75 bucks. I tried to clean it up best I could( it was all moldy ). Just wondering if anyone else has one or has played one. This is not in working condition yet. The neck has to be reset. Who ever had it before must have had neck issues because they attempted to turn it into a bolt on neck. It has been stripped and clearcoated( pretty bad job. U can see drip marks all over it.) And it also has the big alice in wonderland sticker on it. I've tried to do some research on it and I believe its a 63( please correct me if im wrong). The 61s and 62s had the black plastic pickup and the 64-69s had the batwing headstock. So that's why I've narowed it down to a 63. All the electronics are original and sound big and boomy. Louder than my 70 ebo and my buddies 64 ebo.
  2. phender6

phender6

Im trying to get pics of it up
  3. phender6

phender6

Pics

Attached Files:

4. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

That's rad!!!

Is it a companion bass to the Epi Coronet guitar?
  5. phender6

phender6

Its epiphones version of the ebo. And this is when epiphones were still made side by side with gibsons using gibson components in good ol kalamazoo.
  6. jlane72t

jlane72t Supporting Member

Looks to me like the 4-banger version of the Epi Wilshire

[​IMG]

HOTT
  7. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

you'd get more than $75 for the bridge alone.... I hope your friend doesn't read this forum ;)

That pickup cover looks like a mid to late sixties one - replacement? They are ever so slightly narrower and taller. Are there extra holes? Mind you it is hard to say without a close up

I have a two pickup version (newport deluxe)

1962 Epiphone Newport Deluxe EBD Bass Guitar

So, are you going to restore?
  8. faivy

faivy Supporting Member

Based on the headstock & body it is a 1962-1963.
    1963-1964 they went batwing headstock and asymetrical body.
  9. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

That's a great score! :bassist: If the pickups and truss rod work and the neck is relatively straight, I would say you can't go wrong with that one. Nice!
  10. RobJ

RobJ Supporting Member

Wow... great deal on a very cool old bass.
  11. phender6

phender6

The thing with the neck is that there is no bow and is straight but even though its supposed to be a set neck it sits in there akward so the action in really high. Ill put pics up later of what they tried on the back for the neck
  12. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

I'll give you $120. Love the paint whatever that's on there.
  13. RDagBasses

RDagBasses

I love these old epi bass, I did my own version of what would have be a crestwood deluxe bass if they had the idea to make it
    [​IMG]