1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

60's Fender string envelopes/strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JIO, Apr 10, 2014.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A friend of mine gave me his old Fender flats envelopes/strings from most likely the mid-late 60's (for his bought new '66 P). Just thought I'd share pics of this piece of Fender history. (he only had 3 of the 4 - no G) Don't forget - clean strings sound better, look better!

The red ones are BIG! (8.5" square), and the others are same size as current packaging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Very cool, thanks for posting these!

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    yes very cool....u going to use them? :D

5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    I have strung them up out of curiosity but as much as is said about some players preferring old strings, I'll keep them in their envelopes to respect the dead! :smug:

I did have an idea to have the lower one (w/guitar graphics) scanned and printed on an oatmeal-coloured T-shirt.

6. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    love the way these look! thanks for posting.

7. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Good call. Nearly 50 years later, the metal has no doubt fundamentally changed.

Thanks for the time capsule, very cool. I was a little boy in the early 60's, so the graphics and fonts hit a deeply buried aesthetic nerve.

8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    There's an interview w/James Jamerson from '79 in which he states he had the same strings (heavy gauge LaBella flats) on his (bought new) '63 P-bass at the time of the interview. (16 yrs!) He goes on to say "You don't need to change strings all the time: you'll lose the tone. It's like a new car; the older it gets, the better it rides."

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    The older larger envelopes are like double bass string packages (to this day) and back then they probably figured that would remain consistent as after all, it was a bass string!

10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    No sooner said than done! (a T-shirt printing place is around the corner!) I wanted the just-off-white tan but they were out of my size - will have another made by next week!

[​IMG]

11. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    WOW! love that shirt!!

I recently bought 'new old stock' Fender flatwound set from the early 70s off Ebay. The graghics also look so 70s if ya know what I mean.

I have not put them on any of my basses yet. I will have to post a pic. This could turn into a "pics of old string packaging" thread.

12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    Now you're talking! Let's see pics of "that 70's thing"!

13. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Cooool shirt! Sign me up for a Large ! ;-)

14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    As soon as it came out of the laser printer I thought of producing them, but I don't want to risk getting into copyright issues. I'm doing another bass-related design w/my own artwork honoring Jerry Wexler. I'll post pics when it's on a T-shirt. It's based on an interview where he was asked what he wanted etched on his gravestone. As a life-long atheist, he wryly answered "more bass". If anyone doesn't know who he was, a google search will clue you. Let's just say he knew something about the importance of bass in the mix. :smug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  15. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here is my contribution^^^

CBS killed the Battlecreek plant in 1975 so these would be from '75 or older.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  16. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
  17. 👍👍😎😎

18. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Amazing. The shirt too! I can't stop drooling over that bass. Is that your '66?

19. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    Yes, and thanks to my lucky stars for being aligned in such a way as to acquire it. I'm no collector but not a stranger to vintage owning a '64 T-bird (which is awesome), but this bass is …. words will not suffice - I'm very lucky.

20. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Well thanks for posting the pic. It is, imo, one of the nicer looking vintage P basses I have seen around here.

21. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    WOW. I'm normally very not into vintage anything but I would rock a shirt like that.