1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

60's Guild Jetstar bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ukulelelab, Dec 3, 2013.

1. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Anybody else here has a Guild Jetstar bass from the 60's? Let's see them please. Here is mine (from 1965):

[​IMG]
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Never seen one: cool.
  3. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

I love those old guilds... wish they would reissue the starfireII, along with some of the solidbodies.
  4. Bflat

Bflat

I have a 64 with the smaller pickup and a different headstock let me find the pic, I've posted before
  5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Very cool! I can see the inspiration for the Lakland Decade from the pickup forward. The upper and lower horns, etc.
  6. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

saweeeeeeet!
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Very cool!

It seems like Guild had a similar 2+2 headstock design as the Gibson EB's did but I don't hear much about them exploding/breaking. Is it because there were less of them? I know 60's-70's Guild acoustics are appreciated by some guitarists for their "endurance" over the years. Is this also true with the basses?

Not a knock on Gibson, just a question.
  8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I love that bass design! Especially the headstock! The guitar version (the Thunderbird) had a built in retractable stand - when I first saw that I thought it was a great idea (still do!)

[​IMG]
  9. Bflat

Bflat

Here is mine, It was my main bass for years

Attached Files:

10. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I had one like that.The headstock was hacked to make it more square ontop,and it was refinished with what I think was cream colored house paint.I think I bought it for $50.00.I'd love to have that one back!
  11. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

am i imagining things or did they reissue these for a short while during the late 90's early 2000's? sorry if i am derailing your thread! not my intent.
  12. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I've seen dearmond jetstars
  13. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

maybe that's what i was thinking......cool looking fiddles all the same!
  14. Bflat

Bflat

here are my 64 Jetstar , 68 Starfire, and 67 Bluesbird all cool basses

Attached Files:

15. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I bet the darkstar pu on the originals sounds great!

I used a Dearmond Jetstar guitar body and made my own T-bird bass

[​IMG]
  16. TNF

TNF

I love how these basses look. Never seen one in person. I'd have to assume they are rare as hen's teeth! I've only ever seen one in a picture...The one that was (maybe still is?) on eBay for years...
  17. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

All I know is the following from that blog: http://guitargarage.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/1966-guild-jetstar-bass-bringing-peter.html

'..Its difficult to tell how many Jetstar basses were actually built by Guild, but the numbers were not very large. Using Guild's serial number system and company records, it appears that there were 243 Jetstar Basses built between 1965 and 1967 - with serial numbers ranging between SD 101 and SD 243. There probably were some additional Jetstar Basses built in 1964 and early 1965 under an older Guild serial number system, but there is no way to break out how many from Guild's production records from that period. Does anybody out there have a Jetstar Bass with a non- SD serial number ?

The initial Jetstar Bass built between 1964 and 1965 had an asymmetric headstock with a 2 X 2 tuner configuration. A similar headstock was used on the Guild S-50, S-100 and S-200 guitars. This bass was also fitted with the large Hagstrom BiSonic pickup, as used on the Guild Starfire basses. It doesn't appear that very many examples of this style were built - probably less than 100 and maybe as few as 8. I have never seen one in person, though I do recall seeing a video by the band Cibo Mato where Sean Lennon (John's son) was playing one.

In 1966, Guild switched to a 4-inline tuner configuration, more akin to the Gibson Thunderbird in appearance. Guild also switched to a simpler and smaller DeArmond single coil pickup, often referred to as the "Mickey Mouse pickup", though the initially the Jetstar basses were still routed for the much larger Hagstrom Bisonic pickup. Its not clear if any 4-inline Jetstar Basses came with Bisonics, but it's certainly possible.
    ..'

Mine has the older 'non-SD' Guild serial number system with 5 numbers. Someone else at the LTG forum has a transitional one from 66 with the 4-inline tuners and bisonic pickup
  18. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

Peter Tork of the Monkees!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Oh I like this thread. Sub'd. :hyper:
  20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Yes, very interesting thread. I've never seen a JetStar bass in person.