1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

60's Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamesLarson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

First time poster. Thanks in advance.

Found this Fender Mustang Bass in a local pawnshop. Looking for any info on it. Serial number is in the 240,000's stamped on the backplate. Haven't taken the neck off to check there. Haven't seen the 60s Mustangs in the finish/color combo, but I haven't seen many.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357216049.417638.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357216065.686068.jpg

2. artfahie

artfahie

You might want to move this post off of the double-bass part of this site and get it in with the slab/electric guys !

3. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

Yikes! I didn't mean to drop the thread here, I think tapatalk and user error caused it. If a mod could move that would be appreciated!

4. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

I reposted - please delete this as needed!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Nice pawn shop find! I am 99% sure that is a refinished body. I wish the shops around here had stuff like this! Congrats!

7. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

My jaw dropped when I saw it mixed in the usual First Act guitars.

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Is the body a slab? llolypop tuners,may be a 66,first year
    production,did you get a good price?...nice find.

9. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Assuming that the parts are pretty much original (and the serial number indicates the correct year), that's a refinished body for sure. (At first I thought it was just really yellowed white, but it appears to be stripped natural? The whole pics are really yellow-tinted.)

The Mustang Basses back then were available only in white, red and blue. The colors were the same as Dakota, Daphne and Olympic, but Fender didn't call them that since the Mustang was a "student" model. If that guard is original, then it would indicate that the bass was originally white. The other two colors came with pearloid (or white?) guards.

Feel free to add or correct me on this, anyone - I'm going from my memory, which can be faulty. ;)

Edit: the more I think about it, the above stated info may be accurate for Mustang guitars, not basses. It's been a while since I read about this stuff. Either way though, a '60s Mustang would never have come in natural, so it's a refin.

10. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

Thanks a bunch!

How much does the refinished body devalue the bass? Anyone have an estimate on something like that?

Got the bass for $500 and there's a 30 day return policy. Trying to decide if I should keep her and fix her up a bit, maybe even try for some real restorations. Or if I should go get my money back. Thanks for the help!

11. the art guy

If it plays well and the parts are original, it's worth that much for sure. You'll be able to get your money out of it if you decided to sell, but my suggestion would be to refinish the body. At this point it won't hurt the value, and it'll look more period-correct-cool. Enjoy it!

12. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

Thanks!

13. the art guy

No problem - I'm sure you'll get some other opinions from people here too. It's a good community.

Interestingly, I had a situation very much like this about five years back. I bought a '66 Mustang Bass from a used/vintage shop, and it was all original except for a poorly done body refinish. I paid 450 I think. Anyway, I eventually took it apart and resprayed the body Daphne Blue, just with Reranch spray cans. It was my first attempt at this, and turned out okay but not professional quality. About a year later I sold the bass for 800.

(I'm not suggesting you could duplicate that profit, mind you - the market is weird right now. Just thought it was a relevant story.)

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS

You did well at that price. If it plays well and sounds good I would definitely keep it!

15. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Very cool! Definitely worth the money if it plays and sounds good. Also, personally I'm a fan of natural finishes so i'd keep it as is and play the living day light out of it

Edit: i would switch the A string around on the tuner peg though;)

16. JamesLarson

JamesLarson

I'm on the same page with you guys! I like the natural refin, could be resanded and stained with clear satin because it's dinged up a good bit. I couldn't believe how good it sounded plugged in, and it's much smaller and lighter and more my style than my Lake Placid Blue 82 Precision Special.

I'll keep her and let her be an ongoing project. Maybe one day I'll sell but it certainly seems less likely now.

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

By that serial range, it's either late 68 or early 69.
    The original finish was stripped and redone in natural.

18. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    500 bucks for a Mustang? You gotta be crazy! No matter how old it is or who splooged on it, it's a piece of junk. Always was, always will be. For that money there are a million things out there that play and sound better.

19. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

This dude is kind of bitter.
    I don't own one but would like to have one.

20. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Not bitter, just pragmatic. Still got a '72 "J" which I love. Had a '73 fretless "P" and a '71 Strat, both of which I still kick myself for having sold. Things like Squire's and Mustangs, though, they just aren't serious instruments. Better to put your money elsewhere.

21. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

$500 is a good deal no matter how you cut it. You could make at least a couple hundred on it, especially because it's a late 60's. Nice score!