1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'66 Fender P for $200. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 19, 2014.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

So...

THIS just happened.

I see this on Craigslist in Lincoln, NE (an hour away from where I live in Omaha):

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/msg/4294449794.html
    (image of original Craigslist ad attached to this thread in case it gets deleted.)

I e-mail him.

Tim
    to Bradlemith

Hello!
    I imagine you have received a lot of inquiries, but is this a real '66 Fender Precision? Do you have more pictures? Front and back of headstock, serial #, etc.
    Any changes or modifications that you are aware of? Any structural or electronics issues?
    Thanks!

This is the reply I get (DON'T click on the website in his response.)

James Dean james.dean@orientitnetwork.co.uk
    8:47 AM
    to me
    Dear Tim ,

Someone just bought this from me, but I can tell you where I got it from.
    I just picked up 2 of these from www.allproductforsell.com and I resold them on here for some extra money.

The trick is to watch for bidding to slow down and then put in a bid. That's what I do and I win all the time.

Kind Regards

James Dean
    Sent from my iPad

Out of stupid curiosity, I clicked the website in his reply, it went nowhere, and my malware detector told me it successfully blocked malware.

I have a feeling this is a scam that is probably in other cities as well. Craigslist is rife with these things, which I already knew. I just find it very ... oddly-specific ... that it would manifest itself in the form of a '66 Precision Bass. :rollno::meh:

Attached Files:

• 66P.PNG
      66P.PNG
      File size:
      259.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Bunch of red flags here. He uses the name James Dean. It is common for scamer from other countries to use names of celebrities because they believe the names are very common in the U.S. He has an email address from the UK yet claims the bass is in Nebraska, the fact that the word orient is in his email address makes me think that if he is actually selling a bass it is a fake which was made in China, the website he listed is "All Products For Sell" instead "Sale" which makes me think English is not his first language and the site is not legitimate.
  3. TimBosby

Well, yes, it became immediately clear that it was a scam once I received his reply, which was my point. The part I am confused about is the original ad itself. Why frame a scam like this in the form of a '66 Precision bass? It just seems like a weird oddly-specific way to lure people in. And if you read the original ad, there's nothing inherently fishy about it, other than the price.

4. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I have had the same issue although it wasn't with basses. A year ago when i was in the market for an ipad I saw a few that looked legit but with low prices. I became curious so I emailed the seller, they responded saying it was recently sold but then provided a link to a website to buy them. A few more popped up for a few months, all with the same response. It is definitely a phishing scam and be careful!!!
  5. pfox14

pfox14

Thank God for anti-malware software. There are evil people in this world who have nothing better to do then ruin your day.
  6. TimBosby

It's not even a stock photo...someone has that bass sitting in their living room. Weird.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Scammer usually lift pictures from legitimate ads then use them for their scams. I have seen a bass listed on ebay multiple times and each time, it was listed as being in a different city. In every ad, the scammer used the same pictures and there were instructions to contact the "seller" by direct email prior to bidding. This is why I only purchase in person or through trusted online retailers.
  8. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I ran into this with drums. A few months ago vintage Gretsch drum sets popped up on several occasions for stupidly cheap prices. Each time that I responded I got an email similar to the one the OP received.

One of the photos was of a kit that a friend of mine owned. They used a photo off of ebay from when he bought it a couple of months before.

Be careful folks.
  9. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

About 5 or 6 years ago, a friend of my bought a 70 Jazz bass, and a Vox Essex Bass amp for a total of 525.00 at an estate sale. It was the real thing.

Not making a comment on the OP, but, there are people who sell off equipment who have no clue as to it's value, or should I say "worth", to an aficionado.

A neighbor right up the road from me sold her son's car for a little over $2500.00. It was a 67 Mustang coupe 289/Auto, with a 9" rear. Nothing really special other than the kid was the original owner, and the car had less than 35,000 miles on it, no damage whatsoever, garage and covered since he was killed at work in an industrial accident back in the late 70's. I've lived here since 1988, and I didn't even know the car existed, until some time after it was sold.

There are still some "deals" out there, you just have to be careful, and, I suppose, a little more "in tune" than I am, as I never seem to hear about these things until after the fact.:meh:
  10. TimBosby

11. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

Nice looking bass.
  12. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Great detective work Tim.
  13. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    This sounds like the same bullshart scam that CL posters in the cars section used a while back. They post a stupid-cheap price on a desirable car, get you to email them, add your name to a mail list (for boner pills or lonely housewives, etc), then hope you may be dumb enough to fall for a scam link that they have.

This is why I hate CL a lot. It's becoming less and less a tool to use for sellers and buyers have to be on their toes a lot.

But yeah, I've bought some dumb cheap stuff in the past, you just have to know when you're being reeled in by a scammer.
  14. TimBosby

It's too bad Craigslist isn't more regulated. I have found great gear and bandmates on there, but you really have to be persistent and weed through piles of garbage before finding something or someone worthwhile.
  15. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    You should see the real estate ads...wow...the rental stuff is unbelievable. Most are lifted from for sale listings and are scams. Took months to sift thought and find something real. Stopped using CL after that.
  16. TimBosby

We used to have a better local musicians classified here in Omaha that worked quite well. But it sort of fell by the wayside and literally nobody uses it now.
  17. johnson79

johnson79

Wasn't there a jazz bass floating around about a year ago on eBay and CL. Crazy stuff.

I inquired about a land cruiser and got a reply that the guy was military and it was overseas, but he'd ship it. Yeah, sure thing buddy!
  18. Duplo42

Duplo42

Thats the same scam you get in Phones section: cheap iphone 5 for sale, you email the guy and his reply is exactly the same (almost to the letter). Blah...
  19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Someone tried to scam me yesterday on CL.

He posted a Gibson LP Studio for $400. Thats a pretty good price and I wouldnt mind having another. I emailed him my number and instead of a call he emails me back saying "I dont have the studio it sold but I have a LP standard". I asked how much he said $800 and sent a photo. Red flags went up as $800 is super low. I get good deals here and there but I never have lucked into stuff for 1/3 or 1/4 of what its worth. I know china makes pretty real looking LP copies so I asked for the serial number stating I wanted to check the year. I really just wanted to see if it was a real serial number. I searched the serial number on google and it came up on a lot of LP Forums where people stated that serial number was used on hundreds of fake LP's.

I dont know LP's good enough so its very likely that I would have paid the price and walked away with a fake. I also dont think he had a studio to begin with , I think it was a tactic to lure people in and offer them a fake standard for a even better deal.
  20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

There's been a rash of scams on one of my local CLs lately. Friday there was a '66 Jazz for $1600, great pics and a story about how the poster's father used the bass in a band during the 60's and 70's and is no longer playing and wants it to go to a good home, bla, bla, bla.

The poster used a Gmail address, I googled the address and found out that the same person was trying to sell a high-end pool cue and somebody on a billiards forum saw it and was the actual owner of the cue. When he responded there was a story about how the cue was listed on Ebay and was not in the country, money order/bank transfer, bla, bla.

This morning two more listings showed-up for some nice 80's Les Pauls selling for around $300 or $400. The poster was also using Gmail addresses. When I googled the addresses I found that the person was selling other high-end items in different parts of the country, most of the listings were already deleted.