#68 of 400 fender 40th anniversary bass. Any idea what it's worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlitoswhey, Feb 17, 2014.

1. carlitoswhey

carlitoswhey Supporting Member

Posting this again now that I am an official supporting member :)

Ok so its a custom shop as per the stamp on the head stock. And it's ebony fingerboard And a crazy flame maple neck. Preamp and pups are from the p bass plus deluxe line from the early 90s.

So I want to sell it but I don't know what I should ask for...
    Anyone know what these go for?

Attached Files:

2. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

nice bass....i don't have a clue on value....i would contact Fender!!
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Think long and hard before you sell that thing. Jeezy.
  4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    When you determine a price, let me know.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

$_57.jpg

There's a couple on eBay that didn't sell; with one priced at $1500. Although rare, I don't think these have the pull of something like a vintage reissue.

I don't want to guess. Put it up with a number and see what happens is probably the best you're going to do.
  7. carlitoswhey

You're right. It was on ebay but it did sell, to me. 1500 was the starting of the bid on a 7 day auction with a Buy It Now of 2000. I convinced him to sell it to me flat one day in to the auction. For much less that the BIN price. I was surprised that he agreed to it too because after only 24 hours it was already up to 1650. So yeah, it would appear someone was ready to go to bat. there was four bidders I believe not including myself...

But then I have ,in fact , seen one for sale at a music store in Colorado the guy wanted 1700 buy it now online and 1550 in store believe the bidding started at 1300 as well. It didn't sell online but he said he sold it at his store for the full asking price.

Now the last place I had seen one was the low end shop online. They had one listed for something absurd like 3800 and I believe that was a reduced price.

I love the P Bass Plus deluxe line so this wasn't too far off of one that I would actually keeping my collection but ultimately I am looking to flip it. If the price is right of course....

Otherwise I have no problem holding on to it. It is a work of art
  8. carlitoswhey

More pics. Here's the custom shop logo

Attached Files:

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Its only worth what someone's willing to pay for it and since you recently bought it off eBay, I guess you already know what its worth.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

You're probably into it for current market value or close.

I think you'll need to hold on to it for a bit (a decade or a few) to see any real increase in value. Those 400 they made are still around and floating about. It will be a while before collectors become convinced of rarity and collect-ability.
  11. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

90s basses are the new 80s basses, it will take a while before people find them cool again :)
    Personally I would not pay more than 800-900 because I don't like non-traditional Fenders, but YMMV
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Lunacy. I would never buy anything from a shop that would ask a price like that.

$1,500 is about the right area for that bass. It's a beautiful example of craftsmanship from one of Fender's least desirable eras. Not to say those weren't great instruments. It's just right now few people want them. They're not vintage, they're somewhat dated looking, and they're a departure from classic Fender styling. It's a buyers market for those basses right now. Great bass, great value.
  13. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

+ 1
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

15. carlitoswhey

Once again. Yes. It did. After the 24 hours on a 7 day auction it was at 1650, with 5 bids. The BIN price was 2 large. Guy ended the auction and sold it to me flat in the real world (outside the matrix) . if you check the start time on the listing it would still be going on now.
  16. carlitoswhey

I agree wholeheartedly. But I'm interested in the man that would ;)
  17. carlitoswhey

Its really not.

Sometimes I wish that the display of this forum appeared more like a comments page from reddit. It would be revolutionary in terms of how we communicate, learn and discover on our beloved tb. I'm guilty of it too but, come on guys! The thread isn't even 3 pages long yet and already half the comments are from helpful bassists that haven't read ANY of the posts.

Again me , myself, I am also guilty of this (although usually the thread is at least 5 pages long ;) this isn't a critique of my fellow tb'rs so much as an outcry to the obvious symptoms that we need for a new deal here.

For information.

For education.

For freedom.

Thank you and
    God bless you all

:D:D:D

New Bass Deal 2016

:cool:
  18. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Look cool, but its basically a 90s PJ plus deluxe bass with some fancier cosmetics and a custom shop stamp. I wouldn't pay more then 1500-1600
  19. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Nice bass! Is it passive?
  20. M0ses

M0ses

You seem to have plenty of info regarding prices for these things. More than the average TBer, to be sure.
    Why are you here again?
  21. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I'd lose a toe or something for that bass. Look at the neck!