'69 Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Vintagefiend, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all. Supporting Member

Traded an Epi T-bird IV in hsc case for this thing. Hooked it up to the 810, and it sounds AMAZING.

I didn't crank it, as I'm not sure of the ohm load capability.

anyone know what load this thing is optimized for??

Attached Files:

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

4 ohm (like your 810 is ;)).
  3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

sounds like you are clear to crank it up.
  4. Vintagefiend

and my 412, as well (double-winky big smile)

It's ON!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Do you play it upside down, or just take pictures that way? :D Only kidding, great old tube amp. I've got the last of the 50 watters, just prior to yours, from 1968.
  7. nysbob

nysbob

That looks just like my first bass head.
  8. gbazinet

gbazinet Supporting Member

I know they're not super popular on here since they're lower wattage but i'm a huge fan of vintage bassman heads. Nice score!
  9. Vintagefiend

I don't think it's a '69; it says 50w on the back
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

50W is correct.

You would have to look at the codes inside the chassis to estimate the age of the amp. Look for an ink stamp inside, as well as the date codes on the pots.
  11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Now you just need a pair of NOS 7581 for maximum power!

Just remember to look under the doghouse for any leaking electrolytics...I always recap my old tube amps usually...electrolytics that is.

I have a 70's Bassman 2x15 sealed cabinet I have basically restored...haven't decided what speakers to use (I have a bunch)....wondered what to do with it when I am done.
  12. Vintagefiend

Nice!! Thanks for all the info.

Here's the back plate of the amp, if that can help date it :

Attached Files:

13. beans-on-toast

The back doesn't really allow you to refine the date in this case. That revision was made over a period from around 68 into the 70's. The only way to tell for sure would be to remove the chassis from the cabinet and look inside.
  14. lexington125

lexington125

no tube chart glued inside the head???

also, just curious..... when did the rear plate begin to say "Santa Ana" instead of "Fullerton"? That wouldn't be a very precise way of dating things, but I don't recall ever reading about when that change took place?

When I was working on a project at Disneyland a few years ago, my train would stop in Fullerton immediately prior to Anaheim. Once or twice I got out in Fullerton and walked around the downtown area; there must be half a dozen addresses of old Fender facilities within walking distance of the train station. Not much to look at now, but for anyone into the history of the Fender company, Fullerton is ground zero. And many of the original buildings are still standing, just housing new tenants unrelated to the guitar biz. sorry for straying so far offtopic
  15. beans-on-toast

Those old buildings must have been interesting to see. The architecture and the history that went with them.

The name changes were gradual and things were phased in starting after CBS took over. They would use up old stock at the very least when they were converting.
  16. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

It should have the brown molded caps inside the chassis, unless they have been replaced.

If it were say a 1971 like my Silverface Super Reverb it would likely have the dark blue molded caps.

I would change the crappy bias setup on your amp to Blackface specs (easy to do).
  17. PJRL

PJRL

One distinct feature your has is the "drip-edge" around the grill cloth, that puts it on the 68-69 range I believe.
  18. nysbob

nysbob

Mine had a fender box with it - huge thing with no depth, no porting and 2 jensen 12"s. :scowl: Damn near useless.

I enlarged the baffle holes to accommodate 15"s and put some Altec 421As in it - certainly an improvement - but we knew nothing about porting back then. :meh:
  19. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Yes it is a "drip-edge" and that does make it 68 to 69.

If you do a search, you will find many like to use this era of Bassman (and later) for mods.

I've heard some killer 70's Bassmans that were modded for guitar use, often making 2 different channels.

If were to own only one Fender head, this might be the one I would want.
  20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

OP, before you open up the amp, disconnect from the AC mains and leave for 24 hours to make sure every last volt has drained. A Tube amp chassis holds lethal voltages that can hurt an unwary person.
  21. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

What I do before pulling any chassis is play thru the amp while its on and then unplug or shut the power off at the power strip/surge protector and continue to play the guitar thru the amp for several minutes with the amp STILL ON....keep playing the guitar.....

In fact I will leave the guitar plugged in and come back and play it some more after 10 or so minutes.

Does this make sense I hope?

Remember UNPLUGGED or power off at the power strip with the amp STILL ON and play thru it.....this drains the caps fairly quickly.