1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

6x10 Bass Box but which one? (EBS-Glockenklang)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ruins, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ruins

ruins

Hallo fellow bassist

i am standing in front of a difficult design to make lets start with that i know that it is got to be 6x10 because it got enough power to get your guts shaking and small enough to be still transported nearly in any car.

i got a good offer for a used 6x10 EBS Evolution Pro Line 2000.
    i have never owned an EBS cab before but from what i can remember when i tried the 4x10 EBS cab (don't remember what moddel) few years ago this cab sounded great.

on the other hand just a bit pricier i got an offer for 6x10 Glockenklang. i already own the quadro 4x10 and to put it simply, i love this cab.

what would you reccomend to go with the Glockenklang or the EBS?

i need this cab to:
    serve me in the rehearsal room where 2 guitarists are playing 7 string guitars and they know how to dial a good fat punchy tone so i need to be able to cut through.
    i need fatness, clarity and fast response. i am finger player mostly.
    i also need this cab to be able to deal with small gigs

any feedback, experiences, alternative ideas are welcomed.

2. ruins

ruins

-Bump-
    Anyone?

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

OK, lets start from the beginning.

Any special reason to go with these brands and models?
    I know for certain that EBS use regular $90 Eminence Gamma 10s in the ProLine Series. The $30 tweeter comes from Selenium.

Glockenklang used to have Volt drivers but it is mentioned here on TB that Volt stopped making that series speakers and that Glockenklang switched to Eminence, too.

The prices of these "boutique" brands sure are very high for what you get.

Nevermind, I am not familiar with Glockenklang but I have used and owned several EBS speakers. The ProLines using a 15" woofers are the worst, IMO. That woofer is a Kappa 15C, very much a bottom of the line OEM woofer with very little Xmax and middy + harsh sound. The 12" models are a bit better. The 10" Gammas mentioned before have very short Xmax, high Fs and no "fatness" at all. It is a very decent 10" midrange speaker and in most applications they hit Xmax at 10-15W below 60-ish Hertz.

About EBS enclosures:
    The ProLines are built by external contractors as EBS as far as I know has no wood work facility. It seems the contractors source some hardware themselves. I have so far encountered four (!) different style carpets, two types of handles, two different types of connector plates, three different shades of blue of the plastic grill edges etc.

The boxes are assembled with very little glue and leak through the panel joints at higher SPL, causing a noticable whooshing sound. This of course also affects cabinet tuning and power handling. The leakage can be fixed with some glue but it is laughable how crappy these things are for the price they charge.

I am no troll - I have owned the Drome 12" combo, Classic 60, ProLine 311, 15F, 410, NeoLine 212 and currently own the EBS 1V2 plus two ProLine 210s. One of the 210s is heavily modified with Deltalite II 2510s, modified crossover, sealed all joints, lowered tuning, re-sprayed the baffle etc. This cabinet is now finally very good and my favorite.

Finally, what kind of amd do you use?

All in all, I start looking at Ampeg SVT-610HLF or 810E, some larger Mesas, maybe the Fender Pro series or even EBS Chinese Classic models. But it is not MY Money you spend... ;)

4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I'm the only person I know in the real world (as opposed to the TB community) who uses EBS cabs, and I've never even *seen* a Glockenklang cab, much less the 6x10. I suspect it's the same thing the other way around for a lot of Glockenklang owners, hence the lack of replies. EBS makes excellent gear, but the specs on the Glockenklang are better (higher sensitivity, greater frequency range) than that particular EBS, and if you're already a happy Glock user, I'd say go with the Glock.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Hey, the EBS gear is not THAT common and certainly not very well liked in general even here in Sweden - its home country...

7. paulitto

paulitto

Hi,
    take the Glockenklang. You won't regret it.

Regards,
    Paul

8. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    In the real world I would say, try them both first with your bass and amp head, the decide. But, if you can try one with option to return if you don't like, then try that first. Good luck

9. Geri O

Geri O

That's interesting, considering some of the artists using EBS (Henrick Linder, Tal Wilkenfield, Marcus Miller, to name a few. And a while back, I got to play through a Fafner amp with an Eden 410 cab (a touring bassist was kind enough to let me spend a little time with it, wish I could remember the artist and the bassist). I was blown away by the sound and I've wanted a Fafner II ever since that occasion.

Geri O

10. Lowest End

Lowest End

Funny - I run that same setup (Fafner into an Eden 410 XLT and sometimes a 212 XLT). I love how this sounds.

Was I the one that let you try it? :D

11. inazone

inazone Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of EBS amps but I've never liked their cabs. Of the two, I would go with the Glockenklang.

With that said, if I was looking for a 610 I would go with a Berg NV, Epifani or Mesa 610, depending on the tone I was after. To me, 610's depend on what bass and amp you use more so than other large cabs. The SWR 610 seems to work well with the most amps but it always sounded second place to me.

You really should try them out if you can before you buy.

12. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I can +1 the Mesa PH610, it's a beast of a cab and I'd put it up against any 610 out there right now.

13. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

If you can find one, try a genz Benz xb610. Really killer, 900 watt cabinet. I'd say it will run with any of them all day long. I picked mine used in very good shape for $450 a few years ago. I think there may be one in the classifieds here

14. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I have not commented on their current heads as my experience is with several cabs + one obsolete pre-amp.
    It might be worth noting that most EBS endorsers play anything but conventional rock, pop or blues. Many of the endorsed players have a style (slap, metal, jazz etc) with a lot of emphasis on articulate mids rather than on strong and supportive lows - the area where many EBS cabs really come up short.

15. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

I'll be honest, I never played glocks or EBS at all.

I've only heard that EBS are close to sounding like SWR.
    Based on that, I've played with a SWR black beauty 15 combo for 4 years and a SWR Megoliath 810 from a friend. Love the SWR sound back in the day.

The only 610's I was really interested at the time was the Ampeg 610hlf or a used SWR Goliath Sr 610. After looking on TB and seeing people loving the Bergantino NV610, I thought about comparing them at a shop but I notice the closet shop is about 300 miles away.

An opportunity came up to purchase an older version Berg NV610. I'm not looking back or regretting my purchase, this is one sweet cab. Easy to maneuver or travel with! The only cab I would trade it for is a Berg NV412 as 12's are my personal/tone favorite. Seriously, this cab is punchy or smooth and I prefer it over SWR or Ampeg!

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've owned several EBS cabs in the past and liked them quite a bit, but ultimately sold them all. I have several Glockenklang cabs, including two 6-Boxes, and I really dig them a lot. Since you dig the Quattro, I'd suggest getting the Glock.