6x10 recommendation.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Are there any 6x10 that can hold there own vs a 8x10.
    I would love an 8x10 but it does not fir in my car. If I had my way I would go with an Ampeg 8x10 workhorse.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
  2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

If you can find a Bergantino NV610. It's a sealed 610 though.
    I love mine!

If I had to choose a different 610,
    I would be looking at:
    Mesa Boogie
    Eden
    Ampeg
  3. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

For a ported 610, Mesa's PH610, then SWR's Goliath Sr - in that order... sealed, Berg's NV610 owns it... Everything else takes a back seat to these, IMO/IME...

- georgestrings
  4. ugly_bassplayer

How does the Mesa comapare to the Ampeg 6x10?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    The Eden 610 XST is a killer cabinet. The only cab I have owned that it couldn't outperform was a Mesa PH810.
  7. ugly_bassplayer

I currently have an eden 4x10, maybe looking for something that can go dirtier.
  8. georgestrings

IMO, the Ampeg isn't even close to being in the same league: the Mesa will take more power, get WAY louder, way stronger lows, and is much clearer voiced... I had an SVT-610HLF for about a month, and couldn't wait to get rid of it and go back to my PH610... I was never able to make the PH610 fart out, but caused the -610HLF to fart out fairly easily...

- georgestrings
  9. ugly_bassplayer

I currently gig with a SVT 7 pro, son the cab should be able to handle at least 1000 watts at 4 ohms or 600 watts at 8 ohms.
  10. ugly_bassplayer

11. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Is the Barefaced 69'er available yet?
  12. DogBone

DogBone

I thought all bassplayers were required to drive [del]beat up old vans[/del] station wagons?

Seriously, not much I can add but that the Ampeg 610 hlf is ported and is not the same tone as a sealed 810.

Just be aware of sealed versus ported in your search. You may be happy with a sealed Ampeg 410 (not sure the letter but I think it's 410e or 410he).

Good luck!
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Another vote for the Berg NV610. Best cab I've ever heard, period (perfect if you're looking for the classic Ampeg tone, anyway).

Wanted to mention one thing: the "modular 6x10". Specifically, an 8-ohm 2x10 matched with a 4-ohm 4x10. That impedances are important because it distributes power evenly to each speaker. The upside is that you can use either the 2x10 or 4x10 individually at smaller gigs/rehearsals. The downside is that if you use a mono amp, it must be able to handle a 2 ohm load (combined load for the stack is 2.67 ohms).
  14. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I'll throw another vote towards the PH610. I have no experience with the 610HLF but this PH610 smokes the old Ampeg 810 I had for a while.
  15. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    I had an Ampeg 610hlf...for about a month and sold it...it was big time farty...

Mesa stuff is great, but I've never played through the PH610...

I would love to try a Berg, and would also like to try out the LDS.
  16. georgestrings

There are more downsides than that, I've been there, done that... The 410 won't be much fun to load, nor roll in - and the 210 will usually have to be carried in... I gigged such a setup for a couple of years 'til I bought my 1st 610 - I will never go back to separate cabs again...

- georgestrings
  17. ugly_bassplayer

Thanks for all the input.
  18. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

I used an SWR 6x10 for 2 years was a killer cab.. Weighs about 110 lbs vs the Ampeg 8x 10 at 160..the SWR was a killer but a little awkward to move where they had the handle located and no slide rails on the back of the cab, but you can buy them.. I would recommend it

Bill
  19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Bergantino NV610 is the only cab you'll ever need. I'm on year 4 of being completely amp/cab GAS free since I got my SVT VR and Berg 610 rig. Now if I could only have so much luck with basses. :D
  20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

A friend has an Ampeg 610hlf so I have used it plenty, I never enjoy it but I am too lazy to bring my own cab.

I loved my old MarkBass 610, I had a silverface one with black drivers, I thought it paired fantastically with my SVT-CL for rock tone and it was only 71 pounds. I honestly have never seen another one though.

I would love to try a Berg 6x10 just because it gets nothing but glowing reviews.
  21. ugly_bassplayer

With a SVT 7 pro Ithink i'm overpowering the Bergantino 6x10 by quite a bit.