7 Basses Shoot Out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohanSegeborn, Dec 3, 2013.

1. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Hi!

In this clip I'm comparing 7 different basses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtotPiMk6OA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg

1. Gibson EB-2
    2. Gibson EB-13
    3. Gibson Les Paul Bass
    4. Stagg (!) EB-3
    5. Gibson Thunderbird
    6. Fender Precision Bass
    7. Fender Jazz Bass

I'm playing through a Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine Combo with a 12" speaker.

I would very much appreciate your comments, feedback, critique. How do these basses differ?

Cheers!
    Johan

My Youtube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg
  2. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Great video!!! That was really wonderful!!! Thank you very much!!!

The EB-2 was by far my favourite on the video. If any engineer would ever discourage me from using that, I would punch him in the face!!! That thing was GOLDEN. By the way, was this strung with flatwound strings?

The Stagg actually also sounded really good, but after the EB-2 my favourite would probably be the Thunderbird. That thing was as nasty as a bad dog from hell!!!

I also really liked your P-bass.

Really cool footage on the right side of the video as well.

I think other would agree that this video could have only been better if you threw a Rickenbacker in there as well.
  3. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks! No The EB-2 actually had roundwounds. It is the enormous output of the humbucker that gives a low mid distortion that muds out the highs. If I back down on the mic volume it gets brighter.

I'm gonna try to get my hands on a Rickenbacker ASAP, thanks for the tip!

Cheers!
    Johan

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Really a fun video! With the amp settings you were using, the Gibbys all had a lot of attitude, and I think that showed how the humbuckers could be used to advantage. The Fenders both sounded pretty polite by comparison.

A Jazz style bass will probably always be my main bass for the type of music I play most, but those big old humbuckers can give a sound that other basses can't.

I'm sure that video took a ton of effort to make. Thank you!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Nice job, Johan! I enjoyed that immensely. I'm a Fender guy, but that EB-2 sounded fantastic. I fully expected to prefer either the Thunderbird or the Les Paul to the EB's, but felt the EB-2 slayed both of them. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

For what it's worth, I feel you can get a better sound from the Fender P by removing the pickup cover. That's my preferred "sweet spot" on a Precision, and the cover, while looking cool, just gets in my way. (Again, just my opinion. Maybe no basis in fact!) ;)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do that comparison. I now have an even better appreciation for the EB-2.
  7. REV

REV Supporting Member

Great Vid. Love that EB-2.
  8. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Great vid and very enjoyable. Assuming you left the Carbine settings the same bass to bass.
    I would love to see how those basses compare in a less over driven mode...more of a round tone setting.
    But again, very good video and your playing was very tasteful and definitely brought out the character of each bass.
  9. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks Jeff! You're quite right about the pickup cover, the precision tends to get a bit muddy played to close to the neck (if you're not "tapping" like Geezer Butler in Black Sabbaths early work).

Cheers! Johan

10. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks for the kind words, REV, Runnerman, Jeff K and WoodyG3! I appreciate it!
  11. jbednarski

jbednarski Supporting Member

EB2 and the Jazz were my faves and I'm a P guy forever?! I just got a Midtown and it comes close to the EB2 without the cost of a used one. I loved that you actually played a tune for the demos instead of just noodling like a great many demo vids do. Thanks for doing this!
  12. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Excellent video!! Very useful, and entertaining. Cheers. I'll always be a Fender fan, but I was really enjoying the Gibsons, particularly the Les Paul.
  13. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Great video, and great job!

I’ll give it another listen to better note the various bass tones, but I know the P and J didn’t disappoint.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

Very cool and educational, even for this 35-year bass vet.

EB-13!!! Wow.

Interesting contrast between the "Gibson" tone and the "Fender" tone.

I'm now on the hunt for a Stagg EB-3 clone.
  15. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Terrific job, man. I'm a Fender guy, but liked the EB-2 a lot. The video also was very professionally done.
  16. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Wow, great work. Like everybody else, I thought the EB-2 was gorgeous. I certainly wouldn't mind the Stagg EB-3 or the Gibby EB-13...or any of them for that matter. On my weak computer speakers, I thought the Thunderbird was a little much. Are those pickups really high? It seemed harsher than I'm used to (and I say this as a former owner of a T-Bird); of course my memory could be off or it could just be a difference in technique if I wasn't going for an Entwistle tone.

Fun fun video. Thanks for making it!
  17. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

These types of videos are fantastic. Like this one:

Everyone with the basses/means to record this type of thing totally should.

Great job.
  18. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Hi smperry!

Thanks! Since I lovered the strings it lost some bottom end. Check this clip out where I aim for a Gene Simmons mid 70s tone with higher strings. Recorded with the cam mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h17MTafKro&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg

Cheers! Johan

19. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks! Didn't know Gibson made a "resissue" of the EB2. Cool. Maybe you can post a clip where you play it, so we can check it out?

Cheers! Johan

20. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Thanks for the kind words, MightyMiloQuinn, Marko5657, electracoyote, Pet Sounds and 3234718! You made my day, I tell you!
  21. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Your accent is almost as awesome as the basses and your playing in this video.
    Are you from Germany? (Just a guess.)

Thanks for sharing this. I enjoyed it!

All those sick classic bass tones...
    Oh man.