7 Sisters Red Witch Grace Compressor Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tony Flow MMMM, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

I have been infatuated with these pedals for a few months. They look cool, are tiny, there different they last 2 weeks off a charge.

Today I went down to The Perfect Bass and went on a Pedal Spree

70$ For George L Cable Kit
    100$ For this Grace Compressor
    70$ For LS-2
    75$ For Micro Q tron

However this thread will be mainly about the Grace Compressor.

Alright guys, Im not a compressor snob.

I owned a Super Comp, I found on some settings it would just suck the bass out of my tone.

Today I tried.
    Dyna Comp
    Super Comp
    MXR Bass Compressor [yea the 180$ one]

The Dyna Comp really altered my tone in a way I didn't like. It was more adjustable than the Grace but Not in a good way.
    The Super Comp well I already had issues with it.
    Bass Compressor, too hard to dial in a sound i liked too many knobs. TOO expensive.

Thats when I gave this little one a shot. Now a while back I tried the 7 Sisters Red Witch Ruby Fuzz, lets just say it wasn't exactly made for bass, it did loose quite a bit of bottom end.

But this pedal was not like that. I can get a great tone with mild compression just what i wanted, not too many knobs sounds great!

Check them all out herehttp://redwitchpedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4

That said I DO plan on getting the Ruby Fuzz and the boost for poops and giggles.

Why do I want the Ruby Fuzz when I just said it didn't work on bass too well?

Well Now that I have the Boss LS-2 I run a clean with most of my effects retaining bottom end and SOUNDING GREAT.

2. Tony Flow MMMM

Ruby will be here tomorrow!

3. Tony Flow MMMM

Geez they sent me the wrong pedal. I got the ivy distortion. STILL sounds great I LOVE these pedals combined with my ls-2 blender the tones are amazing

And seriously I have fallen in love with this compressor.. I have never experienced punch before. This pedal makes every note kick you in the ass.

4. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

the concept of having rechargeable battery is what putting me off... I love the size of these things and would love to try em. But what if I forgot to charge the battery 10 minutes prior going on stage? Can I just stick the charger to power it and play?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

Dude it runs off of any normal boss style pedal power deal. That's how you charge it. It great. Mine stays on charge pretty much permanently (on my board) but its great. Say for tonight all I needed for this gig was my compressor and tuner. Pulled it off the board and was good to go.

7. Lark

Lark

Can you do any audio recordings?

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I myself want a compressor that doesn't sound like anything. When it's gone I want my sound to be kind of janky with levels for different notes being all over the place. Then when I turn it back on I want to say "oh, that's better!"

Plus I want clear metering to tell me what the comp is doing. If I change the level of my input (like bumping mids on my active bass) I want to be reminded that my signal is hotter and thus being compressed more--perhaps I should tweak back the comp's input level? Yes.

Transparent level control and visible metering mean the MXR won for me. Obviously other poeple's mileage does vary.

9. Tony Flow MMMM

You know I think I can.

Ok I am somewhat new to effects. And I don't fully understand the why behind it, but this compressor pedal gives so munch punch.

Ok I got the fuzz into and compared it to the ODb-3 and the seven sisters distortion.

I understand the difference between fuzz distortion and over drive. But here's my take on it.

I wouldn't recommend either seven sister fuzz/distortion for a bass tone on its own. However blended......

The fuzz seems to sit on top of the mix where as the distortion sits in the note your playing. I got the fuzz to sound similar by giving it a post pedal mid bump.

Compared to the boss over drive which is a bass pedal with more options. The boss obviously had more lows and more controls not good or bad. Ill try to get some sound samples in the morning.

If your like me and would run a blend and have a graphic eq regardless these pedals are great!

10. Lark

Lark

Not too concerned about the fuzz/distortions, however I would be keen to hear how the compressor sounds...

11. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    When you said Grace compressor, I thought you meant like the one in the Grace Design M103. Great preamp and great compressor. Goodbye Eden Navigator.

12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Red Witch makes some great pedals. They're pretty popular here in NZ, seeing as they're made here.

13. Tony Flow MMMM

havent had a chance to record. And im not quite sure youd heard what i hear from a compressor in a recording.

That said im quite sad today. The Ruby Fuzz is not acting correctly. Volume is not correct there is a big volume drop now when engauged and the fuzz has NO sustain. Im not sure if its something I did. But meh.

Ill probably send it back. I may get their boost pedal though.

14. Tony Flow MMMM

I might give their fuzz god a shot or at least compare it to the Big Muff

15. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

Thanks for the info, mate. Didn't know about the boss-style power input. Oh great, now I'm GAS-ing :D

16. Tony Flow MMMM

Yea! I really feel bad I feel like I did something to break this fuzz. I might have let a power plug touch my board (aluminum) hmm

Anyways the fuzz was good but since it had no tone knob is say a blender pedal and an eq pedal is a must. I guess this one wont be staying on my board. And since i seem to be adding a few larger EHX pedals their size really comes in handy. I love the compressor and may get the boost

Jabba_1987 likes this.
  17. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Any updates on recordings of this pedal on bass? I'm very intrigued by the tiny form factor and the simple controls. I too am really just looking for compression, no tone coloration. Do you think the Grace could deliver?

18. Tony Flow MMMM

I happened to sell it but I do regret that. I have since owned the mxr and the 3 leaf compressor. Neither do what this one did... The other two even with compression turned up still allow for huge volume spikes when used with other pedals. This one completely cuts out any volume spikes if wanted. I'm not very good with describing things with electric circuits but this is still my favorite easiest to use tiniest compressor..

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Let bongomania borrow your compressor for a few days so he can give it a full review! He'll know right away what it can and cannot do.

He's this guy in case you didn't know:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/

20. Tony Flow MMMM

21. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

I might very well swap out my EBS multi comp for one of these. I believe a store near me carries them, so I'll go try the Grace out soon.

I'll let you guys know what I think if I do pull the trigger.