7 sting pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nateshost, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Nateshost

Nateshost

I'm building a 7 string fretless bass and I'm torn between 3 pickups. Right now I'm looking at the bartolini 7 string g6 shape, the Delano jsbc 7, or the Delano sbc 7. Does anyone have any experience with any of these pickups? If so, what were your impressions?

2. Sheffield

Sheffield

I've used the Barts, as well as the Bill Dickens Signature (single coil) Barts, and a custom set of Nordstrand Dual Coils.

I found the Barts (as expected) to be dark; the Nordstrands just didn't do it for me - they seemed to lack a certain complexity to the sound. They sounded honestly like polite, thick jazz pickups.

I'd try either of the Delanos. The jsbc looks like an excellent jazz pickup, and the sbc looks like an excellent humbucker.

I'd avoid the Delano quad-coils, by the way. Having played a crazy multi-coil switching bass for a while, I found that I only ever used the parallel humbucking mode and could've saved a lot of time and wiring headache if I'd accepted that early on. Food for thought.

What's the style of pickups in your current bass?

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

You can email Maurilio here on Talkbass. He works for Nordstrand electronics and can help you with some custom 7 string Dual Coil pups :)