7 String Bartolini Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kaoskater08, May 9, 2013.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

I'm building my own bass and have finally gotten to the electronics part. It is a 6 string fretless but the string spacing is too large for normal pickups and I had to go with a set of Bartolini 7-string bass pickups (http://www.bestbassgear.com/bartolini-g67-pickups.htm).

I've soldered one or two other instruments before and was able to tell which wire was which but with these I'm not able to distinguish like before. There are two wires coming out of the pickup: one with a clear shell and the other is just a bundle of wires (picture of what I'm talking about in the link above).

This is the first time I've seen something like this. Which wire is the ground wire? I've only had experience with the usual black/white wires coming from the pickups.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

You could have contacted Nordstrand electronics :) They build custom pups on request, no matter how many strings or spacing. Most pups are build for 19.5 mm string spacing :)

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The ground is usually the bare wire (without any protective plastic around it).

4. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Thanks for the info....will definitely keep that in mind on my next instrument!!

Thank you very much for the information!!

Here is a shot of the bass when I was fitting the brass nut to the instrument before starting all of the wiring

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thomas Kievit

It's beautiful! :eek: What's the scale length mate?

7. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

It's got a 34" scale with 19mm string spacing at the bridge and a jazz bass spacing at the nut. Had to do some math on figuring out the spacing from a 4 string to 6 string but it all worked out. I've got larger hands and this bass fits under my fingers very nicely even with the much wider neck :)

8. Thomas Kievit

Sounds great! Do you play fretless bass exclusively?

9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

the ad clearly states the pickup has 2 conductors. That bundle is the ground

10. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

No, I haven't owned an electric fretless until now (I have a stand-up acoustic). Played a couple of Fender fretless basses and finally decided it was time for me to get one...fortunately it was right around the time I decided to try and build an instrument or two from scratch. I've wanted a six string for a while too so why not combine them all in building my own 6 string fretless? :p

My main bass is a Yamaha BB605 and the general shape for this instrument. The only thing that stands in my way of it being completed is getting all of the wires soldered up and hopefully I can get that done this evening.

11. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Best of luck, and if possible, record something. I'd love to hear how it sounds.

12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    uh oh… those pups are split coil! that means you have a 4 and 3 covered strings. You'll probably have a weak sound out of either A or D string (depends where the split happens).

The bass looks great, tho!

M

13. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    +1

standard spacing is 19mm (3/4") for 4 and 5 strings, 18mm for 6.
    But yeah, all kind of shape, string # and spacing.
    Nordstrands has just released neo and ceramic dual blade pups (no more string spacing issues)

M

14. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Thanks!! And yeah...after wiring everything up this weekend (kept it simple....just V/V/T) there is a slight loss in volume at the A string :meh:

I might have to contact them about making some pickups....the difference in volume isn't much but still noticeable.

Here are some pics of the finished product. Thanks for all the info...I will definitely keep this stuff in mind if I decide to build another.

Attached Files: