1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

7-string fretless conversion, info needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by van Sinn, Jan 21, 2013.

1. van Sinn

van Sinn

I have a Korean build Wollf 7-stringer.
    Though not boutique, still a fairly decent bass.
    Please note that I bought it when finance was low, and now being crisis-ridden unemployed, shopping a wonderthing is a nogo ;)

I need comments on two issues:

1. My B string lacks definition and sounds hollow. It's an Ernie Ball Power Slinky .135, sorta close to stainless steel alloy, which I feel could explain the hollow tone.
    Would this be a fair assumption?

2. I'm getting so juiced up on fretless that I'll want to convert it to fretless.
    However, reaching in-over the fairly wide board for the B-string is a bit to much for me, plus I guess the top plain F (fourth tuning) will likely serve mostly for pinching harmonics, but I could easily live with a top C.

What to do?

I could add a low F#, but I'm unsure how well a .185 or so would stack up on this instrument, and about it's usefulness for fretless.
    Earlier on I talked to Skib about his low strings for fretted use, but didn't get around to order, so..

I was thinking of stringing it up as a 6-stringer, B to C, and add an additional one octave higher B string next to the low B, i.e. as the seventh string, so I could play the low B stand-alone higher up the board, or hit both for a fuller, more defined low tone.

Comments please?
  2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If reaching the B-string is tough to you, I wouldn't even worry about the usefulness of the lowest string and I'd definitely go with a B-C tuning for the top 6 strings. I think the octave-up B-string at the bottom would be a nice touch too. I very much like to use octaves to beef up those low notes, and on a fretless, they can be hard to hit accurately. Barring two strings and getting an octave would be MUCH easier.

I play an 8-string and have a low F#. Skip's strings are awesome, and I've never been happier with that F#. However, I don't use it all that often because the music I play generally doesn't call for it. Given the two options in your situation, I'd think the octave-B would be a better choice.