7-string fretless conversion, info needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by van Sinn, Jan 21, 2013.

1. van Sinn

van Sinn

I have a Korean build Wollf 7-stringer.
    Though not boutique, still a fairly decent bass.
    Please note that I bought it when finance was low, and now being crisis-ridden unemployed, shopping a wonderthing is a nogo ;)

I need comments on two issues:

1. My B string lacks definition and sounds hollow. It's an Ernie Ball Power Slinky .135, sorta close to stainless steel alloy, which I feel could explain the hollow tone.
    Would this be a fair assumption?

2. I'm getting so juiced up on fretless that I'll want to convert it to fretless.
    However, reaching in-over the fairly wide board for the B-string is a bit to much for me, plus I guess the top plain F (fourth tuning) will likely serve mostly for pinching harmonics, but I could easily live with a top C.

What to do?

I could add a low F#, but I'm unsure how well a .185 or so would stack up on this instrument, and about it's usefulness for fretless.
    Earlier on I talked to Skib about his low strings for fretted use, but didn't get around to order, so..

I was thinking of stringing it up as a 6-stringer, B to C, and add an additional one octave higher B string next to the low B, i.e. as the seventh string, so I could play the low B stand-alone higher up the board, or hit both for a fuller, more defined low tone.

Comments please?
  2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If reaching the B-string is tough to you, I wouldn't even worry about the usefulness of the lowest string and I'd definitely go with a B-C tuning for the top 6 strings. I think the octave-up B-string at the bottom would be a nice touch too. I very much like to use octaves to beef up those low notes, and on a fretless, they can be hard to hit accurately. Barring two strings and getting an octave would be MUCH easier.

I play an 8-string and have a low F#. Skip's strings are awesome, and I've never been happier with that F#. However, I don't use it all that often because the music I play generally doesn't call for it. Given the two options in your situation, I'd think the octave-B would be a better choice.