1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

7 string guitar truss rod question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Dec 16, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

My brother is building a set neck 7 string guitar and he has a question about the truss rod situation. He's going with a bubinga neck with either a rosewood or ebony fingerboard, and the scale length for this guitar is going to be either 26 and 3/16" (I think) or 27".

He's wondering what truss rod setup he should use. He's considering either a Warmoth double expanding truss rod, with or without steel rods, a Stewmac hotrod rod (I think that's also double expanding), or two truss rods. He thought bubinga was a stiffer neck wood, and to be honest I have no idea about that, or what truss rod option would be best in light of the stiffness uncertainty, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

3. cstar

cstar

Thanks! Great advice. I will tell him that. Any idea what depth the Warmoth rod requires? I am a huge fan of those and that's what I have been pushing him to.
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I haven't used one so I can't say for sure, but glancing at them, they look like 1/2" deep rods to me, given the stationary and mobile rods appear to be of the same stock.