1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

70's Ampeg V4/V4B 410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nightterrors, Aug 14, 2013.

1. nightterrors

nightterrors

Do they exist?

a guy in my area is saying he has a "1972 Ampeg V4B 410"

but I've only heard of the 215's and 412's myself... I've had a 76' V4 with the matching 412. Never heard of a 410 though!

could it be some custom order? he said he measured the speakers and everything.. I don't want to drive out there to find that it's a 412 because I'm not interested in 412's currently.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If he measured the speaker cone at about 10" then they are 12" speakers. Speaker diameters are measured from the outside of the basket not the cone.
  3. nightterrors

nightterrors

I'll ask how he measured them.
  4. nightterrors

nightterrors

He said he measured them correctly and they are in fact 10" speakers.
  5. B-string

I don't remember any 410 cabs from that era but JimmyM might. That would be the Magnavox to early MTI era of ownership.
  6. wighat

wighat

Even the old cabs have a plate on the back with the model #.
  7. birdman14

birdman14

Might it be the Ampeg V2 cabinet? If my memory is correct, that was a bigger box that housed 4-10s with them split up so the top and bottom were more separated?.

Edit: Nope, it seems like V2 cabinets were also 4-12s? If you can get pictures, be sure to post them!! I think someone could have cut an 8-10 in half for easier mobility?
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Slightly related: I have a Fliptops sealed 4x10 cab that is a *PERFECT* match for my '73 V4-B. Perfect looks (it matches the amp head exactly in appearance), perfect dimensions (27" wide), perfect sound. It's as if this cab was made in '73 to go with the V4-B as a package. I bought it a few months ago brand new from the Fliptops website. If you are looking for such a cab, check it out!

For the record, I have no affiliation with Fliptops.
  9. nightterrors

nightterrors

Waiting for more pictures.

For now this is all I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. nightterrors

nightterrors

Heard about these... very interesting!
  11. B-string

I don't remember side handles like that in the early '70s? But I was more interested in playing and the girls dancing back then :D
  12. nightterrors

nightterrors

Also noticed that...

Real fishy.
  13. B-string

Maybe he means the amp is a '72, only?
  14. nightterrors

nightterrors

He claims the cab is from 1972, and that "They only made a few of these cabs back in the day."
  15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Not a V4 cab, but there was a B40 and the side handles matched those. They were made in the late 70s. The V4 was a 4x12, the V4B was a 2x15, V2 since someone mentioned it was a tall ported 4x12.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, my guess would be a B40. Probably a nice sounding cab, but speaker limitations of the day would mean you're likely to top out those cabs with about 125-150w.
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

The Fliptops cab I mentioned in post #8 is loaded with four Eminence Legend B810 32-ohm speakers, resulting in an 8-ohm cab rated at 600 watts.
  18. lowend1

lowend1

The B40 was available (depending on the year) in tolex with the blue/silver grill or carpeted with black grill and maybe some white trim around it. I have a fuzzy one - I got it empty and threw in a quad of Peavey Scorpions that I had laying around. Still sounds pretty cool, but it needs some proper drivers. The matching head was a 120-watt solid state deal. In combo form, it was called a B410 or B115.
  19. nightterrors

nightterrors

so a B40?
    cool.
    Think I should go for it?
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you're not looking to split heads with volume, it would sound pretty great.