70's Bassman 2x15 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I have one of these cabinets I have basically restored and reinforced the front baffle.

It is not loaded with speakers at the moment but I have:

Early 70s Eminence alnico 15's with 2 inch vented aluminum coils and straight cones at 8 ohms each.

Some Chinese heavy ceramic 15s with ribbed cones.

EV15L's

Peavey Black Widow and Scorpion 15's

Stock Utah 15's that came in the cabinet but these have really loose suspension (bottom out)....I use these for guitar actually and they sound really good surprisingly!

What do you folks say? Maybe I should make a guitar/bass all purpose cabinet.

Are these cabinets any good for more of a vintage Bass sound say driven by my 1973 Carlsbro 60TC (think Hiwatt)?
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If it's a vertical 2x15 tall cab.
    Duke from AudioKenisis has modelled it with an eminence as follows.
    "My suggestion is the Eminence Delta 15A. A pair will give you -2 dB around 82 Hz without a midbass hump, and the efficiency and top end extentension are both rather good for a 15."

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/deltapro-15a.pdf
    You could sell a couple of the vintage drivers and have change.
    These cabs are not enough internal volume for making best use of the EV 15L's as infinite baffle designs. Well I use the term design very loosely.:bassist:
  3. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

I happen to like (and have used) Fender 2x15 cabs from the 60s and 70s.

I used a '66 Showman 2x15 with EVM15Ls powered by a '72 Bassman 100 for 12 years in a 2 guitar + harp blues band, and loved it (as did the band)!

I recommend the EVs from personal experience.

However, I've also used the Eminence Kappas, Deltas, and Betas (and neos) and preferred the Betas in a sealed cab.

I just built a small sealed 2x15 "ultralite" cab and loaded it with KappaLites (3015), and have another (made with regular big-box 3/4" birch ply) nearly ready for the EVM15Ls. The EV cab will be a permanent fixture in my studio/rehearsal space due to weight. The KappaLites are for gigging.

I'd also suggest trying as many of your drivers in your cab as you can, and choose with your own ears, by playing solo, and with your band. Then you will KNOW which works for you!

Enjoy the journey!