1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

70's Fender Precision Necks - What Year Did They Go Fat?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Groover

Groover

I used to have a 1975 Precision neck and it was a very nice neck, but a little too deep and just plain big around. I tried to get used to it, but I just couldn't. Were all the 70's necks like that, or did they start making them in a certain year? (i.e 75?)

Thanks!
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

My 1974 is pretty fat (not phat).
  3. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I wish I still had my late 80's japan P-neck. It felt beautiful. The rest of the bass left little to be desired but the neck itself was great.
  4. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man

My '73 P bass neck is phat.

My 72 P had an A neck and it was kind of chunky too, yet it still developed an irreparable multidirectional twist/S-curve. The headstock even twisted on that one.
  5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    My '76 P's neck is fat as well........however the mid 80's MIJ P I own is nowhere near as deep, it's wide and flat.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

'72. Fat. I like it that way.
  7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

+1 - I have a 85 MIJ Jazz Special (basically a p bass + a jazz pickup) which has a wide and flat neck. No where near the chunkiness of most p basses.

On that note - does any one know why they called it a jazz special when it was a p-bass nut width, p-bass body, and a p pickup? Could it be the skinniness of the neck was aimed at jazz players?
  8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

I believe I read somewhere that they were made that way from the beginning. I think sometime in the early '80s they decided to change the necks to the "Modern C" shape. But this info could be wrong. Since I'm not a Fender expert I can't guarantee its accuracy. Besides, you can't believe everything you read, particularly on the Internet.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Lots of '60s basses have a thinner neck. Not sure when the transition was. I remember an article in an old BP mag that layed it all out, even the old hard and soft Vs from the 50s.
  10. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

My buddy's 'ole 1970 had a comfortable, relatively flat neck. My 76 is beefier (thicker and rounder), my 78 is beefier still, and my 1980 felt like I was holding david Ortiz's baseball bat by the wrong end. I swear to God that 1980 neck was meant for players with 14 inch fingers.
    Hope this helps!
  11. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT

my 75 P's got a big ol' neck.
  12. Edword

Edword

My '69 P has a pretty hefty neck.
  13. Groover

Groover

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like pretty much all the 70's (69 too?) had the chunky neck.

I was under the impression that the necks got chunky around the mid 70's, but apparently not the case?
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    If I'm playing a P-bass.
    I want a big fat neck.

Keep the thin ones on a Jazz Bass.
  15. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Thread resurrection.

I have a couple/few '76 & '74 P necks that are B-width but not fat at all. I have '78 that is like a baseball-bat, major fatness. I had a '72 neck that was also chunky. John Kallas re-contoured that one for me and it is very nice. I also have a '72 bass with a semi-chunky neck.
    I have a '71 B-width neck that is juuuuust right!
    It seems a bit random to me and somewhat dependent on the final inspector maybe?
    I am a big fan of the 70's nut width and am constantly on the prowl for thinner versions of these necks. However, now that I know what John can do to "fix" the ones that are too fat (for me), I am not quite as desperate to find ones that fit me.
  16. jad

jad

My '76 A-width P bass neck is not at all chunky. It feels especially svelte after playing my Warmoth necked P, which is chunky and really heavy.