1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

72 Fender Musicmaster bass opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

This bass is original except for a stripped finish and it sounds outstanding, the neck is killer, it's very light weight and resonant, so of course I want it to be the best it can be!

I installed a set of rounds a while back but wonder how big I can go on the gauge, the tension is very easy and it sounds good but will it sound bigger with a bigger gauge set?

What about flats on these Musicmasters, anyone favor them?

I am probably going to refinish the bass in black (as it was originally) but what do you folks think of a cool custom Fender color instead of black, is this a mistake?

One other thing, I have contemplated pulling the original stock single coil to try in one of my Strats........is there ANY pickup that improves over the stock Musicmaster pickup?
  2. waxcomb

waxcomb

TI flats sound great on these basses. I gigged one stock with great results, but some like to put in a Strat sized humbucker to cut down on noise.

Look at the Vista series Squires to see different colors.
  3. DutchDude

DutchDude

IMO D'Addario flats sound great on a Musicmaster and are available in short scale as well.
    I uprgraded my Musicmaster with an Aero Musicmasterer pickup and it improved the bass a lot.
    Red looks killer btw
    [​IMG]
  4. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I owned an early 70's Musicmaster, only piece of gear I regret selling.
  5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I had an all original 74' and a Vista. I used Chrome flats on them and they worked and played well on both basses.
    The only changes I made to the 74's was add a 78' P bass wiring harness getting rid of the second cap that bleeds off the guitar pup treble. This really opened the bass up and it sounded like a mini P bass.