1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

72' Fender Telecaster Bass value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musicman666, Mar 14, 2014.

1. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Hey guys, Just picked this up from my neighbor. I have all the parts for it minus the ash try. When I have time I am going to put it together and see it it plays well or not.. The neck is very rough, there are cracks and gaps in the skunk stripe. Not sure if the neck can be repaired or not (if it's even worth it). I am curious of it's value as is. I would at least like to buy everything minus the neck. My neighbor's intention was to part it out, (why it's in pieces). Thanks for your help.
    Nathan
    http://s162.photobucket.com/user/foutselectric/library/?sort=3&page=1

2. floydman

floydman

this one on ebay seems to be original and good condition.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Fender...l-/281285503997?pt=Guitar&hash=item417dec2bfd
    this is only one data point and the auction is not over so take it with a grain of salt.
    with your neighbor's bass, what you will end up with is a replacement neck, seriously devaluing it as far as a vintage fender goes. end value of the fender having a replacement neck ballpark (??) half or less than a comparable original bass, meaning I'd be looking to spend around 300 on the bass as is, and another few hundred on custom built neck from a luthier or warmoth neck. If it were my project, I'd be happy to end up with that original body and hardware with new neck under $1000 total. Over that I'd be weighing my options a little harder. but it does have some serious 70s mojo !

3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Thanks floydman for the link. It does have mojo! I'm going to put it together with the original neck tonight to see if it's still stable...I do have a p neck I could try, if it fits!