72 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MarkBG, Dec 21, 2012.

1. MarkBG

MarkBG

Hi folks,
    I have a 1972 Maple Neck Fender Jazz ,a real one, not a reissue, that I bought waaaayyy back in 1974. Many years ago,probably 20, due to failure,I had to replace the original pickups. At that time I replaced with Bartolini. Cannot tell you the model,but they had no hum,compared to the originals. At the time they seemed pretty authentic sounding to me ,but over the years and recently, they seem to have lost that authenticity,as well as seem a bit anemic on output.( To be honest, I am not sure if they actually have changed or if it's just my opinion of them that has changed). Either way, I am playing out again, and I would like to replace them.

I would like to recapture as close to possible the original voice of this real 72 . I am considering Fender CS60s. I know there are many that prefer other brands and type replacements, but there seems to be enough users out there that consider them as pretty authentic overall,that they seem to be worth considering.

Question is this... The early 70s Fenders ,especially the maple neck versions,had a distinct bright sound due mostly to the different pickup placement,but was there any real difference in the pickups of that early 70s era compared to pickups of just a few years earlier ? Would the CS60s likely get me close? Is there something else I should consider? Quite honestly,it does not have to be exact,because I am not a slap or funk player,and sometimes all the clatter is a bit annoying to me anyway. I actually prefer the sound of the older ones. Probably my more favored sound would be that of Tal Wilkenfeld's Sadowski ,with a touch of the Jaco Bass of Doom occasionally, with a tweek of the knobs. Any thoughts or suggestions from you fine people on which direction to go for this ole 72?
  2. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

I'd search on ebay for a real 70's pu and restore the bass to original.
    It depends on how much you want to spend.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

the tone profile of the cs60's will be more similar to the originals than the boutique pups but will be slightly lower in volume than an original 72 set.
  4. maturanesa

maturanesa

i think new fender custom 60´s pup would be fine, and even better than the original pups... In my opinion, there´s no benefit you can get from an old pickup... from an old piece of wood, yes...
  5. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Let me have a Diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, ... Supporting Member

Do you still have the originals? If so, for around the same price as replacement pickups, you could have them rewound. SGD rewound my '76 pickups to the original specs. Awesome.
  6. damos

damos

Hello

I think the 60 CS will be more hotter than the originals because since the mid '60 the pickups have less winding on .
    The original 72 can be more brighter than the CS ?