1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

'73 Fender P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mandohack, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mandohack

mandohack Supporting Member

Looking for input on the legitimacy of this '73 P-Bass.

One thing that stands out is the thumb rest location. Did this person remove the PUP cover in order to move the thumb rest and use the same screw hole and is that something pretty standard? Does it decrease the value of the bass (read: was it modded?)?

http://flint.craigslist.org/msg/3384836631.html

Tried finding similar on google, but not much confidence there.

Thanks, team.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Looks legit. The holes below the "G" string are for the tug bar. They moved it in 73/74 above the "E" string

3. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Yes more holes were added to the bass (only one hole though form what it looks like!) He used one of the pre existing holes for the thuimbret and added a new hole. The bottom two holes however is where the thumb/finger rest should have gone. Worth 2k? Hell no. Worth maybe 1.2k-1.4k or so. given that everything on it is all original. (besides the irreversible hole he drilled. But good luck getting him down form 2k to 1.2... Just let this guy dream on. :)

4. mandohack

Thanks, guys. I fixed my original post after reviewing the photo, the holes were obviously for the tugbar. My eyes were playing tricks on me apparently.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Yea 2k..ummm... no.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Drilling a single hole through the pickguard won't affect the value in a significant way. But being a natural '73 Precision, it is overpriced at $2k

8. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

It drills it into the body... Which does effect the value.

9. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

This bass could easily go for 2K here in Atlanta. I always see people with these instruments on here like this that cost so little compared to what I'm used to seeing, even though in other markets I guess they are considered expensive. I bought a 77' Jazz a few weeks ago in semi-rough shape, with replacement pickups and bridge for $1,400. That's an absolute steal for around here. If that P is really as clean as it looks and is a nice player I'd say $1,800-$2000 all day.

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I paid $1300 for a all original natural finished 74 , 2 months ago. It was more beat looking and didnt have a original case. If you can get it for $1500 that would be a rpetty decent deal, it looks clean.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Yyyyyyyeahhhh.....not a lot, though.

12. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

Not really. I see that stuff for sale, but people aren't buying it at that price.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    It is a $2k bass if it is legit IMO.

Looks too clean though.

Headstock looks right, but the neck and body.... Something bugs me that I can't quite put my Niger on.

14. sanderic

sanderic

Being 50 years old, I grew up playing these basses. The new American Standards and 57 reissues are 10x better than these old basses. Heck, for 2 grand, you could probably find both of the newer basses. And before I forget, the Mexican roadwork series is, I believe, a better bass than that 73. If you just think you have to have that 73, please don't shell out over 16 to 18 for it.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Not around here. I know of a nice 71' P bass that went for $1800.00..they wanted $2000..never got it. Both my 70's Fenders are hanging in a shop at market prices here and have been ther since I traded/sold them well over a year ago.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    True, the market is crap. $2k is more than I would spend right now on a '73, but I wouldn't sell it for less if it was mine.

Also, as far as quality, early '70s Fenders can be great.... If you are lucky. My '74 is killer and super light.... But I had to try 6 or 7 dogs before finding mine.

17. mandohack

Thanks everyone. I'm going to pass. In a response to my questions he only answered that it was all original as far as he knows having bought it in '74. I notice, now, in looking at the photos that there appears to be a gouge or two along the body perpendicular to the wood grain between the bridge and pickups and another through, but under, the center of the pickguard.

I appreciate all the interest in helping me out with this!