'73 Gibson Les Paul Triumph neck issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by levonrocks, Jan 23, 2013.

1. levonrocks

levonrocks

I have a 1972 Gibson Les Paul Triumph bass. It is really an amazing bass, but there is a crack in the neck joint. The guy I bought it from basically ruined the neck by trying to repair it with no knowledge of what he was doing. I will most likely take the pickups and electronics out the bass and put them into a frankenbass. I just don't know what to do with the body. Does anybody have any tips for removing a Gibson neck? Would the parts to this bass be worth anything? I would be happy to sell the bass in one piece to some one who could fix the neck, but I'm afraid the neck can't be fixed. I would love to see the bass be brought back to life, but I'm afraid only its parts will live on.

Here is a link with pictures of the same model bass
    http://www.gibsonbassstore.com/id28.html

2. NeckthruTony

NeckthruTony Banned

I hope somebody brings it back to full glory. That's some bass ya got there.

3. levonrocks

levonrocks

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

I don't know what you paid for the bass but it may certainly merit fixing. Any luthier with set-neck experience can steam it out, repair it and re-set it. These basses in good condition are typically north of $2000. If what it cost you and the price of the fix are in that neighborhood I'd say it was worth it.

I have a '74 and I love it. Les Paul said it was the best bass he knew how to make. Though I've always wondered what these electronics would sound like in something else keeping it all together is the thing to do.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have to agree. That's a pretty special bass, and one of the few Gibsons that's likely to just get more valuable as time goes on.

Anthing can be fixed, it's just a matter of cost vs. value, and I believe the value of this bass (when properly repaired) will certainly exceed the cost of the fix.

I'd try posting this in the "Luthier's Corner" section of TB and see if there's any of the more experienced guys would want to tackle this.

7. levonrocks

levonrocks

Thanks for the advice. I was pretty set on just scrapping the bass, but I noticed that the average value of these instruments has increased by over $1000.00 since I bought it, so I've been rethinking.

My biggest issue is that, even if I get it fixed, I will have to find and purchase a replacement neck. The crack between the headstock and the neck probably could have been fixed, but the person who initially fixed it acctually made it worse. He put apoxy in the crack, and made the headstock straight in line with the neck when it is supposed to be on an angle. I suppose I'll see what can be done.

8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    Save it and fix it. The headstock joint can probably be repaired without removing or replacing the neck. Some years back I fixed an SG that had been thrown into a wall. The headstock had been snapped off and the truss rod peeled back. I put it all back together and the repair was nearly invisible. Some work, but not a real big deal.

Without looking at your instrument, a quick guess is that it's about a $500 repair job.

I don't do general repair work like that any more, so I'm not interested in the job myself. But check around, and you'll find someone who can make it right. If it were a $400 import, buy a new neck. But for a Gibson worth a few thousand, get it fixed right.

9. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

I still say get it fixed. I'm sure you've got some luthiers on the east coast that are worth their weight... My guy here in Long Beach, CA (World of Strings) has performed miracles on severed headstocks, neck joints, ruptured truss rods, and even ham-fisted repairs. They've seen it all, and it can be fixed good as new.

10. hover

hover

That's either gotta be the biggest crack in history, or about a gallon of epoxy to fill a void like you're describing. I wouldn't think you could even flex a headstock that thin, to that much of an angle, without a full, complete break. Did the person wedge a doorstop in there to take up the 13 degree crack void?