73 Jazz on e-bay. Should I report this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 11, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Here's the link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/vitage-1973...r-/301115850310?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The guy says he bought it in 1973. But it's a 3 hole neck plate with a 300 000 serial, which is as far as i know impossible. Also the trussrod adjustment is bullet style at the headstock.
    I pointed that out to the seller but he insists that it is a 73.
    A 73 with a three hole? Can that be?
    It doesn't seem like he is innocently reading the serial and referencing the number, not really knowing much about Jazz basses.
    I don't like it when someone is trying to screw other people so what do you guys think, Should I report this guy to e-bay?
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

If you're going to report things like this, you're in for a full time job. Let it go. People will figure it out on their own.
  3. unclebass

unclebass

If you're absolutely positive you're right about this, then report it, just make SURE you're right. I reported someone last year about what I thought was a faked bass and I was wrong. Went through TB community with what I did, and you would have thought that I shot the president. They let me have it!! I just started walking normal again last week...
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

75 or 76 is my guess
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oboylebass

oboylebass

No, don't bother reporting this. Really, is it that big a deal? Not like he's asking ten grand for it. Guy's probably just naive. Let it go.
  7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1.

Not a 74 with a bullet TR and 3 bolt plate.
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

It's buyer beware as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know what you are buying you shouldn't be buying it
  9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I'd suggest, if you want to pursue it, you should ask him to check the date. For that kind of money, if he's legit, he'll amend the listing and appreciate the info.
  10. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member

You can register your concern by posting a question for seller in the listing. "Are you sure this is a '73? I thought only the '75's and newer had the rounded neckplate."
  11. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I did exactly that and I got a reply saying yes it's a 73, giving me the serial number and if I wanted to see more pictures.
    On the listing the guy claims to have bought the bass new in 73. Maybe he did a lot of drugs and he missed 3 years....I don't know.
    I have a 74 or 75 ( not totally sure ) which has the 4 hole plate and the adjustment at the bottom of the neck.
  12. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

tell him you want a pic of the neck "butt", where the date stamp is. That way, if nothing else, you will know the legit date of the neck....the serial numbers are not a reliable way to identify since the neck plates were stamped and then thrown into piles to be used randomly (from what I have read). The serial number on my 72 is for a 66, but my neck and pots are dated 72, so I trust those more
  13. elgranluis

elgranluis

I think my 72 J, 4 bolt, no bullet, has a 369xxx serial number. Ill double check an post back.

I did at one point own a 67 with lollipop tuners which most people though was impossible (internet wisdom), but had I taken it to norm or gruhn for an appraisal (pups, serial, and pots all lined up) then we'd probably have a different story now.

Anyway, about my 67 with lollipops, Pause at 1:01:

(If you choose to see all of the video there are several shots of the bass).

So anyway, apart from the so called "original owner" (who sold the bass to me) having changed the original tuners for lollipops, this bass remains a mistery.
  14. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

That neck, being a 3-bolt with the "TV" logo on the headstock would have been made in '75 or '76. So I don't believe the seller that he bought it new in '73. A '73 Jazz with a 300000s ser. # would be a 4-bolt. But...
    Strats went to 3-bolt earlier than the Jazzes (around 1972), so a 3-bolt plate with that # almost definitely came off a Strat that got parted out and someone (the seller?) bought it and put it on this bass. Notice there are no photos of the neck stamp, and the electronics have been swapped out to actives, so no pot or P/U codes to say otherwise (ahem.. 1976).
  15. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Supporting Member

And I agree with smcd, let it go. I see this stuff with vintage gear almost everyday on ebay. Too much to police it.
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. this ^^ .. there are so many erroneous ads on Ebay it is ridiculous ... sad part of it is, they are not all by accident or ignorance ...

... send him an email and make him aware of what you know or believe to be true ... and then let him decide what action to take after that is all you can do ...
  17. TheDepths

TheDepths Supporting Member

I'm no expert but reading through this thread I'd say it's safe to assume that this is a later bass than a '73. Perhaps this is an honest mistake by the seller (1973 is a long time ago...) and he got his years mixed up. Question is, does this affect the value much?
    If it were me, I would message the seller advising him to check the date on the neck heel. If he is selling it as a '73 but it is in fact a '75 then it could potentially come back and bite him as he is misrepresenting the item.
  18. rogerb

rogerb

This page seems to jive with 3 bolt neck plate and bullet truss rod for a '73. Not sure how accurate it is, I just googled and looked at the first one I saw.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

I thought you could send an email to fender with the serial number and get the info on the specs.
  19. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    This...
  20. dalkowski

dalkowski

Unless you're thinking of buying it, let it go. You brought your concerns to the seller's attention; you owe society nothing more.
  21. Blues Infidel

Blues Infidel Gold Supporting Member

My '73 Jazz has a 4 bolt plate and a slightly higher number than this bass. But I know that this was a transitional period for Jazz basses. Although the photos aren't great, what makes me think this could be authentic is the headstock. That darkening of the face of the headstock vs the rest of the neck is what my '74 P-Bass looks like. It's less pronounced on my Jazz. That photo of the neck plate looks pretty legit. That would be an awful lot of work to fake something for not much gain. The real crime here is putting active pups in this guy.